Classic Pecan Pie
You can’t beat a classic like pecan pie!
As I was brainstorming recipes for Thanksgiving pies, I was trying to come up with twists on the standard fare, or something completely new and creative. But when it came to pecan pie, I just couldn’t mess with it.
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Pecan pie has become a favorite of mine since I reached adulthood and realized its value. It’s just so good. Like candy, only better, because it comes in a buttery crust.
Would you believe that this is actually the first pecan pie I’ve ever baked? My brother has been the expert pecan pie baker in my family, but since I’d be celebrating the holidays away from home, it was time I bake one myself.
And I discovered the second best thing about pecan pie, that it’s so easy to make! A simple mixture of brown sugar, butter, eggs, corn syrup, and pecans is poured into a shell of pie dough and baked for an hour. And that’s it. You couldn’t ask for a simpler homemade pie recipe for Thanksgiving.
Classic Pecan Pie
- 1 pie crust recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup (312 grams)
- ⅔ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (142 grams)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter , melted (75 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup pecan halves (138 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll out one half (see Note) of the prepared pie dough on a lightly floured surface, into a rough 15-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie dish and trim edges to a 1-inch overhang. Tuck overhang under and use your thumb and finger to create a crimped edge. Place pie shell on the prepared sheet pan.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, combine the eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium high speed until well combined. Stir in the pecans.
- Gently pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Bake until the edges are completely set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes. Let cool before serving, serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream, if desired.