Brown Butter Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
Not your average rice krispie treats, these are made with nutty brown butter and filled with salted caramel.
If you are looking for the softest, most gooey and delicious rice krispie treats, then you have come to the right place!
These brown butter salted caramel rice krispie treats may seem a little over the top, but they are by far my most favorite cereal treat creation. This recipe is perfect if you happen to have a little extra caramel sauce in the fridge, but I’ve also included a caramel recipe below in case you’re starting from scratch.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Unsalted butter
- Caramel sauce— homemade is preferred but store-bought will work too
- Vanilla extract
- Crispy rice cereal
- Flaky salt (optional)
How to make brown butter salted caramel sauce
- Make caramel sauce. Cook sugar and water until it turns deep amber in color. Stir in heavy cream, vanilla and salt. (Or use leftover or store-bought caramel.)
- Brown butter. Add butter to a heavy bottom pot and set over medium low heat. Cook until butter foams, then turns brown and smells nutty. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Melt marshmallows. Once butter is browned, add marshmallows and stir until almost completely melted.
- Add caramel and crispy rice cereal. Stir in almost all of the caramel, then cereal. It will be thick, but make sure cereal is evenly coated in marshmallow mixture.
- Press into pan. Dump mixture into a 9×13-inch pan and press into an even layer.
- Top with more caramel and salt. Drizzle with remaining caramel and sprinkle with flaky or coarse salt, if desired. Let the bars rest for about 30 minutes to set up.
Then, slice and enjoy!
More caramel treats to love
- How to Make Homemade Caramel Apples
- Soft Caramel Popcorn
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally published May 2014.
Brown Butter Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
For the treats:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (113 grams)
- 32 oz marshmallows (Two 16-oz bags, 455 grams)
- ½ cup caramel sauce (use leftover, store-bought, or recipe below)
- 8 cup crispy rice cereal (225 grams)
- Coarse or flaky salt , for sprinkling
For the salted caramel:
- ½ cup sugar (100 grams)
- 2 tablespoon water
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (68 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
To make the treats:
- Grease an 9x13-inch square baking pan and line with parchment paper, if desired.
- In a large heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until butter is brown and fragrant. Add the marshmallow and stir until melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in all but a few tablespoons of the caramel. Add the crispy rice cereal and stir until combined.
- Press mixture into the prepared baking pan. Drizzle with the remaining caramel and sprinkle with coarse salt. Let firm up at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving for easy slicing. Alternately, you can let the treats firm up in the fridge for 10 minutes.
To make the caramel:
- Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Stir until mixture is moistened and is the consistency of sand. Stop stirring and let the sugar dissolve and cook until deep amber in color. Periodically swirl the pan the ensure the mixture is caramelizing evenly.
- Remove from heat and add the heavy cream very gradually while whisking constantly. Caramel will bubble violently at first. When all incorporated, return to low heat and stir until all clumps are melted and mixture is smooth. remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
13 Comments on “Brown Butter Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats”
I want a big bite of these sooooo bad!! They look awesome!
First off I’m glad you are feeling better. Happy 6th blog anniversary that is so exciting and you celebrated perfectly with these treats.
Thanks Meagan! 🙂
I know what I’m making this weekend! Glad you’re feeling better. Miss you! XO
Thanks Flavia, miss you too! 🙂
These are my kind of rice krispie treats! Love that drizzle on top!
Congratulations on six years of blogging! That is quite an achievement.
Thank you Janine!
Happy (blog) birthday, sweet lady! You couldn’t have come up with a more perfect treat to celebrate. These look AMAZING!! The blogging world is better off with you a part of it. Thank you for your amazing content, beautiful photos and most of all, your friendship! xo
Aww, thanks Kelley! And thank goodness for this blog, otherwise we wouldn’t be friends! And I’m so glad we are! xoxo
Happy blog anniversary! These seem like the perfect way to celebrate…two of my favorite flavors packed into a classic Rice Krispies treat!
Happy belated blogging birthday!!! These look phenomenal!
Happy (belated) 6 year blogiversary!!! Thank you for always sharing such great tips and recipes with us all!