These irresistible baked potato bites are loaded up with cheddar cheese, sour cream, crispy bacon, and green onions. They make a great appetizer or snack!
This post is sponsored by Challenge Dairy.
I hear there’s big game going down this weekend? I literally have no idea who’s playing, nor do I care at all about the outcome, but I’ll feign interest all in the name of snacks. Because isn’t that the best part of a weekend afternoon football game? It’s right in that sweet spot between lunch and dinner where anything goes and nothing’s off limits, and I love it all.
These loaded up baked potato bites are one of the best things to happen to my snack lineup in a long time, and for good reason! They’re everything you love about a baked potato piled high with all the toppings, just in a bite-sized package. Set out a platter on game day, or the next time you have friends over, and watch how quickly they disappear!
What you need to make these loaded baked potato bites
These potato bites are a breeze to put together! They take about 45 minutes total to make and require just a handful of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to grab from the store:
- Russet potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salted Challenge Butter
- A very generous sprinkling of salt and pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Chopped green onions
Why I use butter in this recipe
Baking the potatoes with butter helps load these bites up with flavor long before we add the toppings, much more so than oil or cooking spray. You could even say butter is my secret ingredient! I like to use salted Challenge Butter as it’s fresh (it’s made and ready to be shipped in just 24 hours after the cows have been milked) and free of growth hormones, artificial preservatives, fillers or dyes. Find it in a store near you.
How to bake bacon in the oven
This is my favorite way to make bacon! Whether it’s for Saturday morning breakfast with the family, or for topping these loaded baked potato bites, I do it exactly the same.
- Line a sheet pan with foil (it makes cleanup so much easier!)
- Spread bacon out in a single layer on the foil.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 15-20 minutes until it’s done to your preferred level of crispiness.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to soak up some of the grease before serving.
Watch the video
Shop tools for this recipe
Loaded Baked Potato Bites
- 1 lb russet potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons salted Challenge Butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces (about 2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line sheet pan(s) with parchment paper or foil.
- In a large bowl toss potatoes in the butter until well coated.
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on the sheet pan. You may need more than one pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake potatoes for 30 minutes or until tender, flipping once halfway through. Baking time may vary based on the size of potato rounds.
- Top potato rounds with cheese, about one heaping tablespoon per rounds. Return potatoes to the oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, a few pieces of bacon, and some scallions to each potato round. Finish with a sprinkling of ground pepper.
- Enjoy immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Challenge Dairy, Inc. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I love and believe in, which make Completely Delicious possible. All opinions are always 100% my own. To learn more about Challenge Dairy, you can visit their website here. You can also find them on facebook, instagram, youtube, and pinterest