French Onion Dip
Homemade French onion dip made with flavorful caramelized onions only requires a few simple ingredients!
Once you’ve tried this French onion dip, you won’t be able to go back to store-bought versions ever again. Because the real thing is just so much better!
This dip is very creamy and delicious, with intense sweet and savory flavor from the caramelized onions. Cooking onions on the stove in butter until soft and caramelized will take a bit of time, but it’s easy to do and the rest of assembly takes only a few moments.
Serve this dips with potato chips, crackers, or toasted baguette slices, and watch how quickly it disappears!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s everything required for this French onion dip (full recipe below):
- Two sweet onions
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Light or dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
How to make homemade French onion dip
- Caramelize onions. Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions have softened and caramelized to a golden color, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally as needed. Let cool to room temperature.
- Blend in food processor or blender. Add onions to a food processor or blender along with cream cheese, sour cream and brown sugar. Blend until combined. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill. You can serve this dip right away, but I like to let it rest in the fridge so the flavors have time to really meld together.
This dip is sure to be very popular at parties, potlucks and other gatherings all year round. Enjoy!
More appetizers to try
- Rosemary Pretzel Bites with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Cucumber Bites with Corn and Red Pepper Salad
- Chili Cheese Nachos
- Spinach-Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally created for Go Bold With Butter. View the recipe on their website.
Homemade French Onion Dip
- ¼ cup butter (½ stick, 4 tablespoons)
- 2 sweet onions , thinly sliced
- About 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- About ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light or dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- Chopped chives , for garnish (optional)
- Chips, crackers or toasted baguette slices , for serving
- In sauté pan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook until caramelized, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally as needed. If onions begin to burn, turn down heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In food processor, pulse onions, cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put dip into bowl and serve right away or chill until ready to serve. Dip will keep in the fridge for about a week.
- Top with chives before serving, if desired.