Pomegranate Citrus Sangria
A winter red wine sangria for your holiday merriment— with pomegranates and oranges, cinnamon, and a heavy splash of brandy.
Sangria is one of my favorite party drinks, whether I’m gathering with just a few friends or a large group. It’s quick and easy to make ahead of time, and it’s always a hit!
This pomegranate citrus sangria is so festive, and perfect for holiday and wintry celebrations. With flavors of pomegranate, orange, and just a hint of cinnamon, it’s a delicious balance of sweet, fruity and spice.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Red wine
- Pomegranate juice
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
- Fresh pomegranate arils/seeds
- Cinnamon stick
Choosing a red wine for this sangria
You don’t have to be super picky when it comes to choosing wine for sangria but there are some things to consider. It should be fruity and inexpensive, but taste good all on its own. Choose something you like!
Look for a light to medium-bodied red wine that’s fruity with low tannins. Pinot Noir, Malbec, Zinfandel, and Grenache are all great options.
Tips for making pomegranate citrus sangria
- Orange varieties like cara cara, satsuma, clementine, tangerine, etc. will all work well in this recipe.
- The cinnamon stick will continue to intensify the cinnamon flavor in the sangria the longer it sits. If you want a lighter spice flavor, add in the cinnamon an hour before serving.
- Other whole spices like cloves and anise would also be delicious additions to this sangria.
- You can use packaged pomegranate seeds, or you can de-seed your own pomegranate. This is a very helpful tutorial!
- If you like your sangria to have a little fizz, add a splash of ginger ale to each glass before serving.
- This recipe can easily be doubled!
More festive drinks to try
Shop tools for this recipe
This recipe was originally published December 2013.
Pomegranate Orange Sangria
- 1 bottle red wine (750 ml)
- 1 cup brandy (237 ml)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (237 ml)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (237 ml)
- 1 orange , thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate , arils removed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large pitcher, stir together the wine, brandy, pomegranate juice, and orange juice. Add orange slices, pomegranate arils and cinnamon stick. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Of desired, serve over ice.