This is a pitcher full of fall flavor— sangria made with spiced apple cider, white wine, and brandy.
Happy Friday! If you’re at all like me you’ve been looking forward to the weekend since Monday morning. And now that it’s finally here, I’ve got a pitcher of sangria for us all to enjoy.
Anyone who knows me, knows I’m a little bit obsessed with sangria. It’s kind of my thing. Why drink wine when you can drink wine + other yummy things? So, every season I find a new favorite sangria recipe. This fall I’m all about this spiced apple cider sangria.
The base for this sangria is fresh apple cider simmered with spices, citrus and dark brown sugar until it’s a little syrupy and full of flavor. As an added bonus, your house will smell amazing.
Pour the spiced apple cider into a pitcher along with a bottle of dry white wine— whatever variety you like— and brandy or cognac. Add some apple slices and orange slices for color and additional flavor and let it all chill in the fridge for a few hours. This is a drink that definitely benefits from sitting a while to let all the flavors mix and mingle, so don’t try to rush it.
When you’re ready to serve, pour over ice and serve as-is, or top with ginger ale or club soda. A little cinnamon-sugar around the rims of the glasses is also a fun festive touch!
Watch the video
Shop tools for this recipe
Spiced Apple Cider Sangria
Spiced apple cider syrup:
- 2 ½ cups apple cider or juice (590 ml), see Note
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar (56 grams)
- 2 oranges , sliced and divided
- 1 lemon , sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- 750 ml bottle dry white wine , such as chardonnay, pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc
- 1 cup cognac or brandy (237 ml)
- 2 apples , sliced
- Cinnamon stick , for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider or juice with the brown sugar, half of the orange slices, lemon slices, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. Set over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly reduced. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large pitcher, combine the white wine, cognac or brandy, spiced apple cider, apple slices, and remaining orange slices. Chill 1-2 hours before serving.
- Use apple juice/cider that is unsweetened, unfiltered and non-alcoholic. It is perishable and will be stored in the refrigerator section of your grocery store.
This recipe was originally published October 2014.