This lightened-up pineapple coconut bread is not only full of so much fun tropical flavor, but it’s also a little better for you!
If you’re craving something home-baked and comforting, but don’t want to totally wreck your new year’s resolutions on a batch of cookies or pan of brownies, this pineapple coconut quick bread is the answer!
This tropical-inspired bread is made with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, as well as reduced sugar and butter. It’s still soft, moist, and full of great flavor, but now it’s a little bit healthier for you. And “healthier” is one of my favorite labels for baked goods! Because we should all enjoy a treat (or two) every now and then. This pineapple quick bread makes a great breakfast treat, snack, or even dessert.
What’s in this pineapple coconut bread?
It’s somewhat of a long list, but you probably already have most ingredients in your pantry!
- Toasted coconut
- Canned pineapple
- Greek yogurt
- Melted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- Whole wheat flour
- All-purpose flour
- Ground ginger
- Baking soda
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
Extra boosts of flavor
This pineapple coconut bread has so much flavor thanks to these 3 changes I made:
- Toasting the coconut is an extra step that’s not necessary, but makes a big difference in the overall flavor. To toast coconut, simply place it on a sheet pan at toast it in the oven at 350° for 3-4 minutes while you’re prepping the other ingredients. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
- Swapping out some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat not only bumps up the heartiness of this bread, but it gives it a little bit of a nutty flavor too.
- I try to use brown sugar in place of white sugar whenever I can as it just has so much more flavor! And this recipe is no exception. You can use either light or dark brown sugar.
Shop tools for this recipe
Pineapple Coconut Bread
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (113 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (56 grams) butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (30 grams) unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup (85 grams) canned pineapple tidbits
- 1/4 cup (28 grams) finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5-inch bread pan with nonstick spray or butter.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, brown sugar, ground ginger, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the yogurt, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mixture will be thick.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until some streaks of flour remain. Add the coconut, pineapple and walnuts (if using) and stir just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared bread pan. If desired, sprinkle more pineapple and coconut on top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out with only a few moist crumbs, 45-55 minutes. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.