Soft and Chewy Chocolate Cookies
These soft and chewy chocolate cookies have an intense chocolate flavor and almost brownie-like texture. They’re one of my all-time faves!
Our family has been making these cookies for as long as I can remember. We use them to make ice cream sandwiches, sometimes they’re topped with marshmallows and melted chocolate, but most often they’re enjoyed just as you see here— with a simple sprinkling of salt or sugar.
Not only are they soft and chewy, but they’re also dense and intensely chocolaty. These cookies will satisfy that chocolate craving, and then some! We love them so much, and I promise they’ll become one of your favorites too.
Ingredients you’ll need
You probably already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen!
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Flaky salt or coarse sugar, for sprinkling
So easy to make, no chilling required!
These soft and chewy chocolate cookies are just your basic drop cookies—
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Add dry ingredients
- Portion and bake
And there’s no need to chill the dough before baking, so you can have fresh baked cookies in as little as 20 minutes!
My best cookie tips
- Butter should be soft enough that a pressed finger will leave an indent, but not soft enough that your finger can press all the way through. If it’s shiny or melty at all, the butter is too warm and your cookies may spread.
- Be sure to measure flour correctly! All of my recipes are tested using the spoon and level method (more info through that link).
- These pre-cut parchment sheets are perfect for cookie baking.
- I like to use a cookie scoop for portion out dough so that all cookies will be the same size.
- If cookies come out slightly misshapen, use a spatula to press them back into a circle right after they come out of the oven. See more of my tips for how to bake pretty cookies.
- Cookie dough freezes really well. I like to keep a stash in the freezer for fresh-baked cookies on demand.
- These cookies will keep at room temperature for about a week, but are best within a few days of baking.
More chocolate cookies to try
- Spicy Chili Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Hugs Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Shop tools for this recipe
Recipe was originally published in 2014.
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (170 grams)
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (60 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Coarse sugar or salt , for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer and mix until just combined.
- Scoop by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake until edges are crisp, about 9 minutes. Immediately sprinkle with coarse sugar or salt. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.