Chocolate Hugs Cookies
These chocolate hugs cookies are soft and fudgy, with a fun Hershey’s hugs candy in the center.
If you love the classic peanut butter blossom cookies, then you have to try these chocolate hugs cookies! The last time I baked the classic original, I knew I wanted to try a chocolate version. So I tweaked my soft and chewy chocolate cookies, added a Hershey’s Hugs chocolate in the center, and absolutely LOVED the result.
The cookies are thick and fudgy on the inside with a nice sugary crunch on the outside, and the chocolate/white chocolate combo Hugs candy in the middle is such a delicious finishing touch. I may enjoy these cookies even more than the original!
How to Make Chocolate Hugs Cookies
- Prepare cookie dough according to recipe instructions (below).
- Portion into rounds and roll in sugar.
- Place on prepared sheet pan and gently press down on the tops so they are slightly flattened.
- Bake at 375°F just until cookie is puffed and starts to crack, about 8-9 minutes.
- As soon as cookies come out of the oven, place Hugs candy (or other chocolate candy) in the center, pressing down slightly.
- Let cookies cool before serving.
- The cookie dough for this recipe will be very thick, but will hold together. This keeps the cookies tall and soft.
- Do you know how to measure flour correctly? If the dough is too crumbly and won’t come together, you likely accidentally added too much flour.
- Make sure to have Hugs candies unwrapped and ready to go when the cookies are done baking as you’ll need to work quickly while they are still hot.
- You can use any kind of chocolate candy for the center of these cookies— Hershey’s Kisses, Rolos, Reese’s peanut butter cups. Any chocolate candy that will fit in the center of a cookie will work!
- If the cookies bake up a little misshapen, simply use a spatula to press them back into a circle after you’ve added the Hugs to the center of the cookies. You can only do this while they are soft and pliable.
More Chocolate Cookies to Love
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Chocolate Hugs Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (170 grams)
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar (300 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder (60 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar , for rolling
- 24 Hershey's Hugs candies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, followed by the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer and mix until just combined.
- Portion into rounded tablespoons (I use a #40 1.5 Tbsp scoop) and roll into balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place onto prepared sheet pan. Press down on the tops of the cookies to flatten them slightly.
- Bake until edges cookies are puffed and start to crack, about 8-9 minutes.
- As soon as cookies come out of the oven, place a Hershey's Hugs in the center of each one, pressing down slightly. Let cookies cool before serving.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for several days.