Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Soft and chewy chocolate cookies filled with chopped hazelnuts.
If you’re a fan of chocolate + hazelnut like me, then you are going to LOVE these cookies. They’re rich, chocolaty, and have so much great nutty flavor and crunch from the hazelnuts.
These cookies were born out of necessity— I had just a few hours to make a treat for a party and my pantry was pretty empty. I had decided to make my go-to favorite chocolate cookies when I spied some chopped hazelnuts I had stashed in the freezer. I threw them in the dough at the last moment, and these wonderful cookies are the result. I’ve made them a few times since then and they’re always a hit wherever I take them.
I mean, who doesn’t love chocolate and hazelnuts?
I think I might be borderline obsessed with the chocolate-hazelnut combo. If you are too, you may want to check out these other recipes from my site— chocolate hazelnut ice cream, chocolate hazelnut sweet rolls, whole wheat chocolate chip hazelnut cookies, chocolate hazelnut covered strawberries, dark chocolate rocky road ice cream with hazelnuts, nutella brownies with hazelnuts, and chocolate hazelnut fudge sauce.
See, I told you. Obsessed!
baking tip:How to freeze cookie dough
This recipe is perfect for freezing in batches and baking up fresh for easy breakfasts or snacks on the go. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a scoop to portion out cookie dough
- Place mounds of dough (not touching) on a parchment lined sheet pan
- Freeze for about 30 minutes
- Remove the mounds from the sheet pan and place in an airtight container or freezer zipped bag
- Freeze for up to 1 month
- When ready to bake, place on prepared sheet pan and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes
Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder , not dutch process
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hazelnuts , very finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet mixture in the stand mixer and mix on low until combined. Add the chopped hazelnuts.
- Spoon onto the prepared baking sheet by rounded tablespoons. Bake until cookies are firm and cracked on top, about 10 minutes. Cookies will be very soft. Use a spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Recipe originally published August 2011. Photos have been updated.
Tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)