These chocolate covered chocolate marshmallow cookies are fun, easy, and a tasty treat. A favorite from my childhood!
This is another beloved recipe I have from my Mom and I plan to spoil my kids with them often, so they’ll love them as much as I did growing up. They’re simple cookies— just soft chocolate cookies topped with marshmallows during the last few minutes of baking until soft and them covered in melted chocolate. Simple, but fun and crazy delicious.
We went nuts for them as kids, and if I’m being honest I love them even more now. Maybe it’s the nostalgia, or maybe it’s just because they’re so dang good.
These chocolate marshmallow cookies are perfect for play dates, picnics, and pretty much any day of the week. Share and watch them disappear!
baking tip:How to Melt Chocolate
Melting chocolate is easy! Just be sure you don’t overheat the chocolate as it can scorch and seize very quickly. When almost all of the chocolate is melted and only a few chunks remain, remove from the microwave and stir until fully melted and smooth. For best results use high quality chopped chocolate and not chocolate chips.
In the microwave— Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring the chocolate after each.
On the stovetop— Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl (I like to use glass) set over a small saucepan of boiling water. You can also use a double boiler. Stir frequently as chocolate melts.
Shop tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (57 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Approximately 3 dozen marshmallows1 cup (7 oz, 200 grams) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or use chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer all at once and mix on low until just combined.
- Scoop by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheet pan. Roll into balls. Bake until cookie tops start to crack, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately top each cookie with a marshmallow. Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 2 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven and use your fingers to flatten the marshmallows a little. Let cool completely.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set over a pan of barely simmering water. Let chocolate melt, stirring frequently, and remove as soon as no lumps remain. Use a spoon to cover each cooled cookie with chocolate. Put in the fridge to firm up.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Cookies are best if consumed the day they are made, but will keep for several days.