Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
Chocolate covered chocolate marshmallow cookies are fun, easy, and a tasty treat. These soft chocolate cookies topped with marshmallows and melted chocolate are favorite from my childhood!
This recipe is from my Mom, and I plan to spoil my kids with them often so they’ll love them as much as I did growing up. They’re simpler to make than they may seem, and they’re also so fun and delicious.
They’re just these soft and chewy chocolate cookies topped with marshmallows during the last few minutes of baking and then covered in melted chocolate. Kids and adults alike will love them, and everyone is going to want the recipe!
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love these cookies
- Ingredients you’ll need
- How to make chocolate marshmallow cookies
- More cookie tips
- More cookies you’ll love
- Get the recipe
Why you’ll love these cookies
- The soft marshmallow center is such a fun surprise.
- These cookies have tons of delicious chocolate flavor. Perfect for all of you chocolate lovers!
- No recipe is needed for the chocolate topping, it’s just melted chocolate (and not a separate chocolate frosting).
- There’s no dough chill time, and no waiting.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Butter— you can use unsalted or salted butter, but I prefer unsalted for more control over flavor.
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened natural cocoa powder— not Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate or chocolate chips— for melting
How to make chocolate marshmallow cookies
- Prepare chocolate cookie dough. These cookies are made using the creaming method, where you beat the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy, then add eggs and vanilla, and finally the dry ingredients. Mix to make a soft dough.
- Bake cookies. Scoop onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake at 350°F until the tops of the cookies start to crack, about 8 minutes.
- Add marshmallows. Remove the cookies from the oven and top each with a marshmallow. Return them to the oven immediately and bake for 2 minutes more. Marshmallows will be soft and puffy, use your fingers to press them a little flat on top.
- Cover with melted chocolate. Melt chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler, and spread over the tops of the cookies. Let cookies set up for a bit before serving.
baking tip:How to Melt Chocolate
In the microwave— Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring the chocolate after each.
On the stovetop— Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl (I like to use glass) set over a small saucepan of boiling water. You can also use a double boiler. Stir frequently as chocolate melts.
More cookie tips
- Butter should be soft enough that a pressed finger will leave an indent, but not soft enough that your finger can press all the way through. If it’s shiny or melty at all, the butter is too warm and your cookies may spread.
- Be sure to measure flour correctly! All of my recipes are tested using the spoon and level method (more info through that link).
- My favorite size cookie scoop for these cookies is a medium #40 spring-loaded scoop which measures 1.5 tablespoons.
- These pre-cut parchment sheets are perfect for cookie baking.
- If cookies come out slightly misshapen, use a spatula to press them back into a circle right after they come out of the oven.
- The chocolate topping on these cookies will have a matte finish when set because we took the easy way and didn’t temper it. To give it a bit of gloss, stir 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil into the melted chocolate before topping cookies.
- These cookies will keep at room temperature for about a week, but are best within a few days of baking.
More cookies you’ll love
Get the recipe
This recipe was originally published May 2018.
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups (300 grams) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup (57 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Approximately 3 dozen marshmallows
- 1 cup (200 grams) dark or semi-sweet chocolate (7 oz), chopped or use chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the mixer all at once and mix on low until just combined.
- Scoop by the rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheet pan. Roll into balls.
- Bake until cookie tops start to crack, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately top each cookie with a marshmallow. Return the pan to the oven and bake an additional 2 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven and use your fingers to flatten the marshmallows a little. Let cool completely.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set over a pan of barely simmering water. Let chocolate melt, stirring frequently, and remove as soon as no lumps remain. Use a spoon to cover each cooled cookie with chocolate. Put in the fridge to firm up.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Cookies are best if consumed the day they are made, but will keep for several days.