Salted Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
Stash these simple slice-and-bake salted chocolate pistachio cookies in the freezer for whenever your cookie craving hits!
Right now is pretty much the Olympics of Baking. I’ve been training all year, I’ve got 15 pounds of butter in my freezer and a stack of food magazines on my nightstand. I’m ready to bake.
Sure, there’s a lot of candy and other treats happening in my kitchen this holiday season, but mostly it’s cookies, cookies, cookies. Cookies for parties, cookies for the toddler’s daycare teachers, and cookies to send to faraway friends.
This year marks the 4th annual Food Blogger Cookie Swap and I was excited to participate. I sent these salted chocolate pistachio cookies to Bless This Mess, Life as a Strawberry, and Dinner, Dishes and Desserts. And in return I received fabulous cookies from Julie Bakes, Sugar Dish Me, and Rain Drops and Roses.
I love that I get to meet new people through cookies and it’s so fun to think of all the cookies criss-crossing over the country and the world. And best of all, all of the proceeds go to Cookies for Kid’s Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease.
This time of year I love to give back and help where I can, but it’s often so easy to get caught up in the commotion of the season and forget. That’s why I love how easy it is to make a donation that can directly improve the lives of children with cancer.
Now, about these cookies.
They don’t look like much, but the combination of chocolate, pistachios, and salt makes for one wonderfully unique cookie. During a time when everything is either peppermint or gingerbread flavored, these cookies are a welcome change.
Plus, since the cookies are so small and one batch makes so many (almost 100!), you can check off a few things on your list all at once— bake some up for the kids after school today, then bake a few dozen more for a cookie exchange later this week, and keep a few rolls of cookie dough stored in the freezer for unexpected guests or late night cookie cravings.
Salted Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (300 grams)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (43 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (283 grams)
- 1 ½ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (266 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped (135 grams)
- 1 cup pistachios , chopped (120 grams)
- Flaky or coarse salt , for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a handheld mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar on high speed until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and add the vanilla, followed by the egg. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks and the pistachios.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log about 8 inches long and about 2 inches wide. Wrap in plastic or parchment paper and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours and up to 2 months (cookies will be easiest to slice completely frozen).
- When ready to bake the cookies, place the oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat to 350° F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the frozen logs of cookie dough into cookies 1/4-inch thick. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared sheet pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies appear dry and set. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with the coarse salt. Let cool immediately.
7 Comments on “Salted Chocolate Pistachio Cookies”
What’s not to love about these rustic looking cookies?! The chocolate/pistachio combo is one of my favorites!
These cookies were SO good!! I can’t wait to make a batch of my own!
These look wonderful, what a delicious treat! Chocolate and pistachio, what’s not to love?
If this is the Olympics of baking – I think you’ve earned a gold medal here (that wasn’t funny, was it?). ANYWAY, the salt and pistachios on this chocolate cookie sound addicting.
These look fantastic! I’ve done the cookie swap 2 years in a row now and both times got matched with bloggers that I didn’t know so it’s been a great way to meet new people. And you really can’t beat getting cookies in the mail!
These look fabulous!! Love that chocolate – pistachio combo. Can’t wait to try these!
These sound phenomenal!