Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix
Keep homemade buttermilk pancake mix on hand for busy mornings!
My son starts kindergarten this week and I can’t believe it! We’re officially in the school system and a slave to its schedule. We’re early risers naturally, but I’m still nervous about all of us getting fed, dressed, and ready for the day before 8am, five days a week. How am I going to do it?
Well, for starters, I need to get organized. And having breakfast shortcut options like this homemade buttermilk pancake mix at the ready is going to be my saving grace.
This pancake mix is made up of flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk powder. All you’ll need to do to make a batch of pancakes is add is water, an egg, and melted butter or oil!
It’s not a huge time saver when you think about just how long it really takes to mix up a few dry ingredients, but I have been surprised by how much time it feels like I’m saving. Making my favorite buttermilk pancakes from scratch seems like it’ll take some work, but making pancakes using this mix seems incredibly quick and easy and I make them much more often.
One recipe for this pancake mix will make 6 batches of 10 small pancakes. So keep it in the pantry for busy mornings, or for whenever the craving for pancakes strikes!
baking tip:Pancake making tips
- Starting with room temperature liquid and eggs will prevent the melted butter from solidifying into tiny droplets when you add it to the wet ingredients, OR you can stir in the melted butter at the very end after you’ve combined the wet and dry ingredients.
- Whisk the wet and dry ingredients only until just combined, do not over mix the batter. It’s okay if it’s a little lumpy. This will produce a more tender pancake.
- I prefer to use a cast iron skillet or griddle for pancakes, as it creates a great golden exterior.
- To keep pancakes warm and crisp until you’re ready to serve, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan in a 200 degree oven.
- Pancakes freeze really well! Place a sheet of parchment paper or wax paper in between each pancake inside a ziplock bag or plastic container. Store for up to 1 month. Reheat in the toaster.
Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 6 cups all-purpose flour (720 grams)
- 1 ½ cup powdered buttermilk (300 grams)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (65 grams)
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons salt
To Make a Batch of Pancakes:
- 1 ⅓ cup pancake mix , above (200 grams)
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract , optional
To make the pancake mix:
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the pancake mix ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to several months.
To make pancakes:
- Combine 1 ¼ cup of the pancake mix with the water, egg, butter or oil, and vanilla (if using).
- Drop by ¼ cup-full into a greased hot skillet set over medium heat. Cook until edges appear dry and bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minute. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Serve immediately as desired, or keep warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve.
Tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)