A super easy and delicious weeknight meal— pork roast flavored with fresh rosemary and balsamic vinegar. Put it all in your slow cooker and walk away!
It’s a new year. A fresh start. 2016 was easily the hardest year of my life, in so many ways, and I’m very happy to see it go. What lies in store for 2017? Only time will tell.
But I’m not taking it lying down, that’s for sure. That’s what new year’s resolutions are for anyway, right? I’m taking charge of my life and attitude. Regardless of life’s challenges, no matter the negativity that may surround me, this year I’m going to focus on finding joy.
“Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” – Helen Keller
My mother passed away suddenly last year and it pretty much wrecked me. The holiday season was difficult with her absence and the upcoming anniversary of her death threatens to bring everything crashing down again, and part of me just wants to let the sadness consume me. But I’m resolved to not let it. I want to be happy, I want to see the joy in my life. Because there really is so much joy! My husband, my boys, my friends, the beautiful place in which I live, and so much more.
2017 is going to be my year. No matter what, I’m going to hold my head high.
I’m sharing this recipe with you today because it’s become one of my favorite over the last year or so. It’s simple, so good, and extremely versatile. You can serve this rosemary balsamic pork roast over rice, with potatoes, alongside some buttered noodles, or even as part of a salad (and we’ve done it all!).
Meals like this one have saved me on days when the task of making dinner or even meal planning seemed impossible. I usually take the extra step to sear it all on the stove before adding it to the slow cooker for more flavor, but it’s not necessary and I’ve even skipped it from time to time. I’ve included instructions for both methods below.
What are your 2017 goals? If it includes more easy and healthy dinners for your family, then this recipe is for you!
Happy New Year, friends. Let’s make it a good one.
Slow Cooker Rosemary Balsamic Pork Roast
- 2-3 lb boneless pork loin roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 rosemary sprig
- Generously salt and pepper the pork roast and cover with chopped rosemary.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil. Add pork roast to the skillet seasoned side-down and sear on all large sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer pork roast to a medium-sized or larger slow cooker.
- Reduce stove top heat to medium low and add onions to the skillet. Cook onions until softened and caramelized somewhat in the drippings from the roast. Transfer onions to the slow cooker.
- Add the stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic and rosemary sprig to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4 hours, until roast is fork tender.
- Remove roast from the slow cooker and set aside (covered) to keep warm.
- If you'd like to serve the pork roast with a sauce, strain the liquid from the slow cooker, discarding the onions, garlic, etc. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced and thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile shred the pork roast.
- Serve the roast with the sauce on the side, or as desired.
Top Tools for this Recipe