Buttery Garlic Green Beans
These simple and flavorful buttery garlic green beans are the perfect veggie side dish!
As much as I wanted to load these green beans up with tasty things like bacon, cheese, or nuts before sharing them with you, in the end simplicity won. At my house veggie side dishes are always very uncomplicated. I spend plenty of time on the main dish, I don’t need to over-think the vegetables.
These buttery garlic green beans may be simple, but that doesn’t mean they’re not delicious! This is one of those times where simple really is best, because these green beans are so, SO good. They’re sautéed in butter with salt and pepper, with a little minced garlic and fresh lemon juice added right at the end to kick these green beans up a notch.
Just 5 ingredients
These buttery garlic green beans couldn’t be any more simple:
- Fresh green beans
- Minced garlic
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Done in 10 minutes
This easy stove-top recipe takes almost no time to make! Just add butter, green beans, salt and pepper to a hot skillet and cook until beans are tender and slightly browned. Stir the garlic in and cook for a minute more, then finish the dish off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. That’s it!
Tips for Making these Buttery Garlic Green Beans
- Instead of just grabbing handfuls of green beans at the market, be more picky in selecting green beans without brown or wrinkly spots. Try to get green beans that are roughly the same size so they’ll cook evenly.
- Cut off the woody ends on both the top and bottom of the beans easily by lining them up one way, slicing them with a knife, and then lining them up on the other side (like this!).
- The garlic is only added during the last minute of cooking otherwise it could burn.
- Add as much or little garlic as you’d like, typically between 1-3 cloves.
- This recipe is best with fresh green beans, but frozen green beans will work as well. Increase cook time to about 15 minutes.
Other Veggie Sides
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Buttery Garlic Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans , ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1-3 cloves minced garlic , to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add green beans and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook until green beans are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking, stir in minced garlic. Add lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.
- If using frozen green beans, increase cooking time by a few minutes.
- Add garlic per your preference. Shown here with just 1 clove of garlic.