Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Just a few ingredients are all you need to make these sweet and savory brown sugar glazed carrots. They’re a perfect side dish to any meal!
For too long I’ve neglected side dish vegetables on my blog, but I’m making up for lost time now! Starting with these easy brown sugar glazed carrots, I’m going to share all of my favorite veggie recipes. They’re not fancy or sophisticated, but they’re what my family enjoys regularly with our meals.
These brown sugar glazed carrots are simple to prep, require just 5 ingredients, and are ready to eat in just 10 minutes! The carrots cook in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, seasonings, and water which reduces to a wonderful sweet and savory sauce by the time the carrots are done. Serve them alongside any main dish any night of the week!
Should I peel my carrots?
As long as you wash and scrub carrots to remove all dirt and grime, you don’t ever need to peel your carrots before eating. However, the outer carrot skin can be a bit knobby and stringy and peeling the carrots will get rid that if it’s unpleasant for you.
The decision to peel your carrots is completely up to you! Sometimes I peel mine, other times I don’t.
What ingredients do I need?
Here’s what you’ll need to make these brown sugar glazed carrots:
- Carrot coins or baby carrots— they should be uniform in size so they cook evenly
- Light or dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes— completely optional, but I love the very subtle heat and contrast of flavors
How to make Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
I learned this simple stove top method for glazed carrots in culinary school and it’s been my favorite ever since. It’s just so dang easy!
- Add carrots, butter, brown sugar, and seasonings to a saucepan along with a little water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender and the liquid has reduced to a nice buttery sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
And that’s it. It really is that simple.
Make it a side dish
These brown sugar glazed carrots go well with so many meals! They’re perfect for holidays like Thanksgiving and Easter, but work for simpler weeknight meals too. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Meatloaf and Potatoes Sheet Pan Dinner
- Simplest Roasted Lemon Herb Salmon
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Pork Chops with Sage Butter Sauce
Shop tools for this recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 1 lb carrots , sliced into 1 cm coins
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh ground black pepper , to taste
- Chopped parsley or carrot tops , for garnish (optional)
- Add carrot coins, butter, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, and water to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes, until carrots are al dente and most of the liquid is reduced to a sauce. Stir occasionally as needed.
- Top with fresh ground black pepper and parsley or carrot tops, if using. Serve immediately.