Simple and satisfying chicken enchiladas with a creamy sour cream and green chile sauce.
My interest in food and recipes came late, after I graduated from college. As a hobby I started this blog, then I decided to go to culinary school, and eventually recipe development became my full-time job. I’ve learned so much about different foods and cooking styles, and for many years I snubbed my nose at the meat-and-potatoes meals of my childhood.
But now I’ve come full circle, appreciating the fact that every single night of the week my mom put a healthy meal on the table for our large family of nine. That’s not an easy feat! And sure, our meals were rarely adventurous or sophisticated, but I find myself craving my mom’s simple home cooking often.
These sour cream enchiladas are straight from her recipe box, copied down on an index card when I headed off to school, and I still make them all the time.
These enchiladas are simple— no frills, no fuss. They’re just flour torillas, shredded chicken, and mozarella cheese smothered in a homemade sour cream sauce flavored with onions and green chiles.
My mom’s recipe originally used a can of cream of chicken soup, but in recent years I’ve opted to make the sauce myself. It adds a bit more work, but even still these sour cream chicken enchiladas take just 15 minutes of prep.
Also, you can use this recipe as a jumping off point. Often I’ll throw in other ingredients like corn, avocado, beans, olives, and cilantro. Feel free to make these enchiladas your own! Just don’t skimp on the sour cream sauce, it’s so good!
Other recipes from my mother
Over the years I’ve shared many recipes from my Mom’s kitchen with you, and since she passed away a year and a half ago, I treasure them all. These are some of my favorites:
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (142 grams) chopped onion
- 1 small 4.5-oz can (128 grams) green chiles
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (227 grams) sour cream
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups (250 grams) cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups (226 grams) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Suggested toppings: salsa, cilantro, green onions, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Add chicken broth a little at a time while stirring constantly, until all broth has been added and sauce is smooth. Stir in sour cream. Cook 2-3 until thickened.
- In a large bowl add half of the sauce, all of the chicken, and half of the cheese. Working with one tortilla at a time, spread some filling down the center, roll up, and place seam side-down in the casserole dish.
- Pour remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more until sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately as desired.
- Store in the fridge - Prepare as directed and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Store in the freezer - Prepare as directed, double wrap, and freeze for up to 2 months. Add 10 minutes of baking time.
Have you tried this recipe?
Tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)