These sour cream chicken enchiladas are a family favorite! They’re cheesy, creamy, and made completely from-scratch.
One of my favorite meals growing up were my Mom’s sour cream chicken enchiladas. I loved them so much that I copied the recipe out of her recipe box and took it with me to college to make for my roommates. And now I make them regularly for my own family and they’re still a favorite recipe!
The enchiladas are filled with a simple mixture of shredded chicken and cheese and covered with a green chile-sour cream sauce before baking. They’re not fancy, but they are so delicious and very satisfying. My mom’s recipe originally used a can of cream of chicken soup as a base for the sauce, but in recent years I’ve opted to make a homemade sauce. It adds a bit more work, but even still these enchiladas take just 15 minutes of prep!
What you’ll need to make these enchiladas
Nothing complicated here! Here’s the ingredient list:
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Flour tortillas
- Mozzarella cheese
- Canned green chiles
- Sour cream
- Chicken broth
How to Make Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Make the sour cream sauce— Cook onions and green chiles till soft, then add flour, chicken broth and sour cream. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Mix the filling— In a separate bowl combine cooked chicken, half of the sauce and half of the cheese.
- Assemble enchiladas— Wrap up spoonfuls of the filling in the tortillas and place seam side-down into a greased casserole dish.
- Cover with sauce and cheese— Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake— Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until sauce is bubbling.
Serving Ideas + Variations!
They don’t need anything extra, but I often add fun toppings when serving these sour cream chicken enchiladas:
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomato
Also, you can use this recipe as a jumping off point. Often I’ll throw in other ingredients like corn, avocado, beans, olives, and cilantro into the filling mixture. Feel free to make these enchiladas your own! Just don’t skimp on the sour cream sauce, it’s so good!
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion (142 grams)
- 4.5-oz can green chiles (128 grams)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (250 ml)
- 1 cup sour cream (227 grams)
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 1 lb, 2-3 breasts)
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (226 grams)
- Green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Add chicken broth a little at a time while stirring constantly, until all broth has been added and sauce is smooth. Stir in sour cream. Cook 2-3 until thickened.
- In a large bowl add half of the sauce, all of the chicken, and half of the cheese. Working with one tortilla at a time, spread some filling down the center, roll up, and place seam side-down in the casserole dish.
- Pour remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes more until sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately as desired.
- Store in the fridge - Prepare as directed and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Store in the freezer - Prepare as directed, double wrap, and freeze for up to 2 months. Add 10 minutes of baking time.