Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
This chicken parmesan pasta skillet has all the flavors of the favorite classic in an easy one-pot meal!
I love one-pot meals! They are my favorite to make because I dirty fewer dishes and can usually get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less.
This easy chicken parmesan pasta skillet is no exception. It’s uncomplicated and full of so much satisfying flavor. There’s pasta, chicken, marinara, melty cheese and toasted breadcrumbs— what’s not to love? It’s perfect for any night of the week, but I especially love to serve it when we’re craving something warm and cozy.
This meal definitely hits the spot, and my whole family loves it!
A Twist on the Classic
Classic chicken parmesan (or chicken parmigiana) is a dish of breaded chicken covered with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese. It’s delicious, but a little labor intensive, especially if you serve a pasta dish on the side.
For this chicken parmesan pasta skillet recipe I’ve taken all of the classic flavors and combined them into this simplified one-pot meal. Chicken, marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and toasted breadcrumbs with penne pasta.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive oil
- Cubed boneless skinless chicken breast
- Italian seasonings
- Yellow onion
- Minced garlic
- Marinara sauce
- Penne pasta
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to make this one-pot chicken parmesan pasta skillet
This meal is so simple! Have I gotten that point across?
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Brown in skillet until it’s cooked through, then transfer out of the skillet and set aside.
- Cook onions and garlic in chicken drippings, then add marinara sauce, water, and penne pasta to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the skillet, and simmer for about 20 minutes until pasta is al dente, stirring every few minutes to make sure pasta isn’t sticking.
- Add chicken and stir until combined. Top with mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Broil on high until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are toasted.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve!
Other One-Pot Meals to Try
- One-Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta
- One-Pan Chicken and Potatoes with Leeks and Arugula
- One-Pan Shrimp and Orzo Pasta
- Meatloaf Sheet Pan and Potatoes
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast , cubed
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Fresh basil , for garnish (optional)
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large skillet and set over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Brown in skillet until cooked through, 4-5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add marinara sauce, water, and pasta and stir until combined. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover skillet, and cook until pasta is al dente, about 20 minutes. Lift lid and stir pasta every few minutes to make sure pasta isn't sticking.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and stir until combined.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Combine breadcrumbs with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle on top of skillet.
- Broil on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are toasted.
- If you don't have a large skillet with a lid, a sheet pan works great in a pinch.
- If needed, add more water a few tablespoons at a time to create a thick sauce when pasta is done. 2 cups was the perfect amount for me.