This quick and easy one-pot sausage broccoli pasta is a great weeknight meal!
I don’t know about you, but I am aaaall about fast and uncomplicated weeknight dinners. And this one is one of our faves! I first developed this sausage broccoli pasta for Go Bold with Butter several months ago and it’s been on regular rotation at our house ever since. I made it last week and as my husband sat down at the table he actually said “oh yay, I love this meal!”.
Italian sausage, broccoli florets and penne pasta are all cooked in the same pot along with a creamy Parmesan sauce. There’s no babysitting multiple pans on the stove and there’s only one dish to clean! Serve this pasta with a salad and/or some crusty bread and you can a complete meal the whole family will love.
How to make this one pot meal
One-pan meals are all the rage right now, and it’s pretty easy to see why. Here’s how to make this meal:
- Brown the Italian sausage (you can use sweet or spicy) in the pot first with a little butter, then transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add the pasta, garlic, salt, pepper, and some water to the same pot pot and bring it to a boil. Cook and stir often for about 7 minutes. The pasta will absorb the water as it cooks.
- Add the broccoli and heavy cream and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more until broccoli and pasta are al dente.
- Finally, stir in cheese and butter to finish the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Shop tools for this recipe
One-Pot Sausage Broccoli Pasta
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage, mild or spicy
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set aside.
- Add the penne pasta, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and water to skillet and bring to a boil. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped broccoli and heavy cream and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, parmesan cheese, and sausage, and cook for 1-2 minutes until pasta is al dente and sauce is smooth.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese.