A sheet-pan supper of slightly spicy roasted chicken, potatoes and leeks, served with fresh arugula, dill and a creamy garlic yogurt sauce.
I’ve had this recipe from The New York Times open on my phone browser for over a month, just waiting for me to try it. And since the relentless summer heat is sure to arrive any day now I decided I need to make this little one-pan wonder before I mostly abandoned my oven for the season.
I’m not quite sure why this recipe stood out to me so much, maybe it’s the fact that everything is roasted together on one sheet pan, or maybe it is the unique combination of chicken and potatoes with sriracha, yogurt, dill and lemon. Either way I’m glad I couldn’t let it go, because it was one of my favorite homemade dinners of the past month.
With quite a few components it may not be the easiest meal you’ll throw together, but it does come together quickly and simply, with minimal dirty dishes (a real plus for me). And when you’ve put it all together, you’ve got yourself a complete well-rounded meal to put on the table. No need to think about a side salad or vegetable, this dish has it all.
Now to see how many times my family will allow me to make this recipe before spring is officially over and summer grilling reigns supreme. You better hurry up and give it a try too.
One-Pan Roasted Chicken and Potatoes with Leeks and Arugula
- 1 1/2 lbs (680 grams) bone-in chicken thighs (about 5)
- 1 1/4 lb (635 grams) yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha or harissa (depending on desired heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- Zest of 1 lemon, divided
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups (60 grams) arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, sriracha or harissa, and cumin. Add the chicken thighs and potatoes and toss to coat. Spread on the prepared sheet pan in a single layer. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the chopped leeks with half of the lemon zest and some salt and pepper. Remove the chicken and potatoes from the oven and toss the potatoes lightly. Top with the leeks. Roast for an additional 25-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a chicken thigh registers 155 degrees F.
- While the chicken and potatoes are roasting, prepare the yogurt sauce. Place the yogurt in a small bowl. Grate the garlic clove over the yogurt. Add the remaining lemon zest and the lemon juice. Season lightly with salt. Stir to combine.
- Serve the roasted chicken and potatoes with the arugula, yogurt sauce and fresh dill.
Have you tried this recipe?