Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna
This chicken, mushroom, and spinach lasagna with a cheesy white sauce is just the twist on the classic you’ve been looking for.
Lasagna is my go-to meal for entertaining. It can be prepped ahead of time and bakes while my friends and I enjoy a glass of wine and chit-chat. No one is stuck in the kitchen babysitting a pot on on the stove, and for me that is a huge win.
I’m constantly looking for ways to reinvent lasagna and make it new. It’s hard to beat the original with it’s layers of hearty tomato sauce and cheeses, but that doesn’t mean I don’t try. This version starring butternut squash is also a favorite in our house, but I’ve been itching to have one more variation in my back pocket for dinner parties and such.
This lasagna has layers of shredded chicken with garlicky mushrooms and spinach, a cheesy white sauce, mozzarella cheese, and oven-ready lasagna noodles. It’s creamy, cheesy, and oh so comforting.
Make this part of your next dinner party menu
While this chicken, mushroom, and spinach lasagna is wonderful for any occasion, any night of the week, here are a few tips to make it part of your next dinner party:
- Prep the lasagna earlier in the day, cover with foil, and store in the fridge until it’s time to bake.
- Use your prettiest casserole dish so you can take it straight to the table and serve it family-style.
- Be sure to plan to let the lasagna rest for about 15 minutes before serving. This will allow all the different ingredients to set, making for more clean and stable slices. Don’t worry, it will still be hot!
- For easy entertaining, serve lasagna with a store-bought baguette or artisan loaf and salad that can be tossed right before everyone sits down to eat. If you’d like one more side, roast veggies like asparagus or green beans in the oven while the lasagna is resting.
- Serve a simple make-ahead dessert. Everyone will be stuffed with lasagna, so there’s no need to make anything too fancy. My favorites include this lemon olive oil cake, strawberry chocolate parfaits, and chocolate hazelnut cookies.
Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna
- 4 tablespoons butter (56 grams), divided
- 8 ounces mushrooms (227 grams), sliced
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 8 ounces spinach (1 medium bunch)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (500 ml)
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese (425 grams)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (100 grams), divided
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (227 grams), I used no-boil, oven-ready
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (227 grams), shredded
- Chopped basil ,for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch or similar casserole dish.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and continue to cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add cooked chicken.
- Return skillet to heat and melt the final 2 tablespoons of butter. Add flour and stir until combined. Pour in milk and whisk constantly to incorporate. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, a heavy pinch of salt and pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until smooth.
- Spread a spoonful of sauce onto bottom of casserole dish. Cover bottom with lasagna noodles, gently breaking them to fit as necessary. Spoon more sauce over noodles, followed by 1/3 of chicken mushroom mixture, and 1/4 of of mozzarella cheese. Repeat two more times. Top final layer with the rest of the sauce, mozzarella cheese, and final 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
- You can used frozen spinach. Thaw and squeeze out all excess moisture.
- I like to use no-boil, oven-ready lasagna noodles to cut down on prep work, but you can also use traditional lasagna noodles. Prepare according to package instructions.
- This lasagna can be made ahead: Assemble and cover and chill in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking. Or assemble, double-wrap and freeze for a month or more. Bake from frozen, adding approximately 15 minutes to baking time.
4 Comments on “Chicken, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna”
Do you have the nutrition specs for this?
I just made this for dinner tonight and it’s delicious. Followed the recipe exactly and came out perfect. Will definitely keep this one bookmarked.
1 teaspoon coarse WHAT?
Followed recipe exactly and it was delicious!