This strawberry chocolate fool is an easy mousse-like dessert made with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and chopped chocolate.
Looking for the perfect date night-in dessert? Look no further! This strawberry chocolate “fool” is simple and light, yet elegant and very delicious. Plus, it won’t leave you feeling too guilty afterwards.
It involves three main ingredients— strawberries, chocolate, and whipping cream. And it takes just 5 minutes to make, plus some chilling time. Think of this as a whipped cream mousse, with spoonful after spoonful of bits of chopped chocolate and sweetened strawberries suspended in a whipped creamy cloud.
What is a fruit “fool”?
Its name for this dessert comes from the French word fouler which means “to crush”. It’s traditionally a combination of chopped or mashed fruit folded together with whipped cream.
This strawberry chocolate fool is just one variation, and I also have a blackberry lime fool recipe that’s also very tasty.
Ingredients you’ll need
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Fresh strawberries
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Chopped chocolate— you can use dark, semisweet, or milk
- Heavy whipping cream
How to make Strawberry Chocolate Fool
Still not sure what a “fool” is? Well here’s how you make it, it’s really quite simple!
- Mash strawberries together with sugar and vanilla. You don’t want to completely break them apart, mash them so they just start to break down but still look like strawberries.
- Chill for 30 minutes. This gives the berries time to release all their juiciness.
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold the chilled strawberries and chopped chocolate into the whipped cream.
- Spoon into glass serving dishes.
- Serve immediately or chill for up to 4 hours before serving.
Other Date Night Desserts to fall in love with
- No-Bake Creme Brulee
- Chocolate Hazelnut Covered Strawberries
- Molten Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Zabaglione (Chocolate Wine Sauce) with Strawberries
Top tools for this recipe
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2012.
Strawberry Chocolate Fool
- 2 ounces chocolate , finely chopped (56 grams)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced (240 grams)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (70 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place 3/4 cup (90 grams) of the strawberries in a medium bowl. Add the sugar, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt. Use a fork to mash the berries and chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks with a stand mixer or a hand mixer. Fold the chilled strawberry mixture and the chopped chocolate into the whipped cream.
- Spoon into glass serving dishes, alternating in layers with the remaining chopped strawberries. Top with additional chopped chocolate and a strawberry.
- Use dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate. Whatever fits your preference.