Simple buttered noodles are a quick and delicious side dish requiring just 4 ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
These simple buttered noodles have saved me many times over the years. Whether I’m short on time or recipe inspiration, or my pantry is almost bare, this easy side dish has stepped up and delivered.
As long as you have egg noodles and butter on hand, you can make this dish. Though, my recipe also recommends Parmesan cheese and chives or parsley for added flavor without any more effort, if you have them.
I love to serve these noodles on the side of a main meat dish, but on occasion I’ve also enjoyed them alone as a simple meal. Quick, easy, and delicious— what more could you want?
Only 4 Ingredients!
This is such a great basic recipe, perfect for when you’re short on time and ingredients. Here’s all that you’ll need:
- Egg noodles (though you can use any noodle you like, really!)
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chives or parsley (optional) for a little boost of flavor and color
Really, the Parmesan cheese can be optional too, but it packs a lot of flavor and I usually have it in my fridge anyway. If all you have are noodles, butter, and salt and pepper, you’ll still have a delicious dish!
How to Make Simple Buttered Noodles
All you need is 10 minutes start to finish to prepare this dish.
- First, boil a pot of salted water.
- Add noodles and cook until al dente, according to package recommendations. (Mine took 5 minutes)
- Drain noodles and return to pot or a serving bowl.
- Immediately add butter, half of parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until butter is melted and noodles are evenly coated.
- Top with remaining cheese and chives or parsley (if using).
- And, enjoy!
Ways to Spruce Up this Dish
If you want to bulk up these buttered noodles to make it more of a heartier dish, here are a few easy additions to stir in before serving:
- Minced garlic or garlic powder
- Peas or broccoli (add to noodles during the last few minutes of cooking)
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Cooked bacon, sausage, or shredded chicken
Make it a Complete Meal
While I have on occasion made a complete meal out of these buttered noodles, it make a really great side dish. Here are some main dish suggestions in case you’re looking for a little inspiration:
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Tri-Tip Steak
- Slow Cooker Rosemary Balsamic Pork Roast
- Pork Chops with Sage Butter Sauce
Simple Buttered Noodles
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter , preferably salted butter
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives or parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Cook pasta in heavily salted boiling water until al dente, according to package instructions. This was exactly 5 minutes for my egg noodles.
- Drain pasta and return to pot or a large serving bowl.
- Immediately stir in butter and half of the parmesan cheese. Move quickly so noodles don't stick together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with remaining parmesan cheese and chives/parsley, if using.
- Serve immediately.