It’s rich, creamy and intensely chocolaty, and it couldn’t be easier to make! Plus it’s the perfect topping for cakes, cupcakes and more.
Baking and assembling a cake is hard enough without adding a complicated frosting recipe to the mix. Everyone needs a few easy frosting recipes up their sleeve and this is one of my favorites. It always receives rave reviews and every time I whir it up I want to dive in headfirst into the silky chocolate. Although I usually settle for a few finger swipes instead.
This frosting comes together in a food processor in about 10 seconds flat. It’s awesome. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, but the results won’t quite be the same. The food processor keeps the frosting dense and fudgy, while using something like a stand mixer will incorporate air into the frosting while you beat it, creating a more light and airy product.
Use this easy fudge buttercream frosting on just about anything! I’ve used it in this chocolate fudge layer cake (pictured below), this yellow birthday cake with chocolate frosting, and on top of these vanilla cupcakes.
Easy Fudge Buttercream Frosting
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate , melted and cooled (180 grams)
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar (563 grams)
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter , at room temperature (340 grams)
- 6 tablespoons whole milk or half and half (90 ml)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to incorporate. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.