Your favorite summer drink in a refreshing scoop-able frozen treat!
Summer is here! At least it is according to the weather. It’s been hot the last few days and I could not have timed trying this piña colada sherbet recipe better. Nothing says summer more than the combo of pineapple, coconut, and rum. And nothing beats the summer heat more than a frozen treat. It’s a winning combination for sure.
One bite of this sherbet will transport you to the beach or to the deck of a cruise ship. On a particularly hot Sunday afternoon my husband I sat in the shade on our front porch, each with a big bowlful of sherbet, and I could close my eyes and almost smell the ocean and feel the sand in between my toes.
This time of year I see recipes for ice cream, sorbets and frozen yogurt, but not really any for sherbet. Why is that? This stuff was delicious, and didn’t last long in our house. It’s a simple frozen blend of pureed pineapple, coconut milk, sugar, rum, and a little lime juice. If you have an ice cream machine (and if you don’t, I suggest you go out and get one), this recipe is a must-try for this summer.
Piña Colada Sherbet
- 1 pineapple , peeled and cored(about 4 cups)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Juice of 1 lime
- Puree the pineapple in a blender with the sugar, coconut milk, rum, and lime juice. Chill thoroughly for several hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Pour sorbet into a bowl and freeze for several hours to harden before serving.