Breakfast doesn’t get any better than this rich and flavorful croissant french toast!
When it comes to indulgent dishes like french toast, my philosophy is go big or go home. If I’m going to make and enjoy french toast for breakfast, I want it to be the best-ever.
And this croissant french toast fits the bill nicely. In fact, it’s the best I’ve ever made. It starts with halved mini croissants soaked in a custard flavored with vanilla, cinnamon, and orange zest and ends with whipped cream, fresh berries, and a drizzle of maple syrup. I mean, how can it get any better than that?
How to make the perfect french toast
Classic french toast is great, but a few changes can take your french toast to a whole new level.
- Start with really good bread— Thick-sliced, rich breads will boost flavor and hold up well. My favorites are challah, brioche and of course, croissants.
- Use whole milk— Anything thinner doesn’t have the same richness of flavor.
- Add a few flavorings— Don’t stop at vanilla extract. Add orange or lemon zest, ground cinnamon, and even a liqueur like Cointreau or Irish cream.
- Have fun with your toppings— You can stay traditional with butter and maple syrup, or get more creative with toppings like sweetened whipped cream, fresh berries, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar, etc.
Shop tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Croissant French Toast
- Butter or oil, for frying
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 4 mini croissants, halved
- Maple syrup
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat and grease with butter and oil.
- In a wide shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and orange zest.
- Dip halved croissants into the mixture, letting them soak for a few moments. Lift them out of the mixture, letting the excess drip back into the bowl.
- Cook in the hot skillet until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- If desired, keep warm in a 200° oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with maple syrup, whipped cream and berries.