Soft and chewy drop cookies packed full of chocolate chunks, toffee bits, rolled oats and dried cherries.
I need to share something with you, and I really hope you don’t mind.
Life is pretty difficult right now. My Mom passed away almost 3 months ago and I’m still taking it one day at a time. Some days are almost normal with brief moments of grief, but on other days the grief is all-consuming, and then there are days when I just feel numb.
I put on a brave face and try to be strong. Life goes on, after all. When people ask me how I’m doing, I keep it simple with “I’m okay” because the whole story is so much more complicated than that.
You may have noticed things aren’t quite 100% around here, and I hope you’ll bear with me while I get back to some sense of normalcy. I must admit that on some days making, photographing and writing about food is the last thing I want to do, but I am also grateful for the distraction.
And your love and support mean so much to me. Thank you, dear readers, for being there.
This recipe is a copycat of a batch of cookies someone sent us the week after Mom died (See above, we were gifted so many wonderful treats!). I was intrigued by the combination of chocolate, oats, toffee and dried cherries and completely fell in love with them. We all did.
I’ve baked several batches of my own version, trying to get the recipe just right, and I think I’ve finally nailed it. The cookies are crisp on the edges, soft in the middle and chewy throughout. The many flavors makes them fun and complex— each bite is a little different.
Chocolate Toffee Oatmeal Cookies with Dried Cherries
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (170 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (213 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (300 grams)
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (100 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chunks or chips (170 grams)
- ½ cup toffee bits (75 grams)
- ½ cup dried cherries (71 grams)
- Sea salt , for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars on high speed until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes, scraping the bowl down once or twice.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each, followed by the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add the oats, chocolate, dried cherries and toffee bits. Mix until just combined.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared sheet pan and bake until edges just begin to turn brown, about 9-11 minutes.
- Sprinkle baked cookies with sea salt, if desired and let cool on the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.