Chocolate Chip Cookie S’mores
Ditch the graham crackers and chocolate squares, this here is the best way to make campfire s’mores— with homemade chocolate chip cookies and giant marshmallows.
Let’s file this one under Best Idea I’ve Ever Had.
I love s’mores as much as the next gal, but if I’m being truly honest the sum is not greater than its parts.
Graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows are a wonderful flavorful combination, but a traditional s’more is never as satisfying in real life as it is in my head. The crackers are too crunchy, the chocolate doesn’t really get a chance to melt, and the marshmallow squishes out the sides.
However, making s’mores with homemade chocolate chip cookies fixes all of that and elevates it far and above an average outdoor treat. They become one with the toasted marshmallows and you’re left with a soft, gooey and utterly delightful mess.
This is not an original idea, I know, but this was the first time I gave s’mores with cookies a try and let me tell you— life changing. I’m never going back.
Feel free to use your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, I’ve included mine below. And if you can find the jumbo marshmallows, those are ideal. Enjoy!
baking tip:How to toast the perfect marshmallow
It can be hard to get an evenly toasted marshmallow over a campfire without it bursting into flames, so here are a few tips.
>> While you can toast as many marshmallows as you’d like on your roasting stick, working with one at a time will allow all of the edges to get crispy.
>> Roast mallows over hot glowing coals and not direct flames.
>> Rotate the mallow slowly as it turns golden brown. Leaving it on one side for too long can cause it to burst into flames or melt off the stick and fall into the fire.
>> If your mallow does catch on fire, quickly blow it out. Do not shake it.
>> Once it’s toasted to your liking, enjoy immediately!
Chocolate Chip Cookie S'mores
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter , at room temperature (140 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (215 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (180 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (340 grams)
- 12 jumbo marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium high speed with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon by the tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches in between each cookie. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the s'mores, toast jumbo marshmallows over the coals of a fire. Sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy immediately.