Just try and say no to this— cherry cola (made with homemade cherry syrup) spiked with bourbon and layered into a tall glass alongside vanilla ice cream, with whipped cream and a cherry on top.
We’re currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our swamp cooler. Now that July is in full swing, temps are above 90 pretty consistently now and our house is quickly turning from uncomfortable to unbearable. My handy husband is working on getting it fixed, but in the meantime I’m getting a little cranky.
You know what’s a good cure for crankiness? Bourbon. And what’s a great way to beat the heat? Why, with an ice cream float, of course! Putting the two together— brilliant.
A frosty mug filled with ice cream, cherry coke and bourbon. I’m feeling a little less cranky already.
Want to make this treat even easier? Skip the homemade cherry syrup and use cherry coke, though I have to tell you that the homemade syrup made with fresh summer cherries is so worth it.
Looking to make this kid-friendly? Simply omit the bourbon!
Bourbon Cherry-Cola Ice Cream Floats
- 1 cup (100 grams) fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
Bourbon Cherry-Cola Floats:
- 1 ounce (30 ml) bourbon (omit to make kid-friendly)
- 1 tablespoon cherry syrup
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 12-ounce can (350 ml) cola soda
- Whipped cream
- Cherries, for garnish
To make the cherry syrup:
- Combine the cherries, water and sugar in a small saucepan set over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pass through a mesh strainer and chill completely. Store in the fridge.
To assemble the floats:
- Combine the bourbon and cherry syrup in a large mug or tall glass. Add a scoop of ice cream. Gently pour in a little cola soda so ice cream is covered. Add another scoop of ice cream, followed by more soda. Repeat until glass is filled. Top with whipped cream and cherries and serve immediately.