Arugula Caprese Salad
This arugula caprese salad is a light, fresh and delicious side dish!
When we welcomed dinner guests over for our first dinner out on the patio this year, I threw a version of this salad together with ingredients we happened to have on hand. And we all fell in love! I’ve made it several times since and it’s now the official side salad of the season.
Adding arugula to the traditional caprese salad of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil bulks it up a bit, adds more flavor, and stretches it into more servings.
My secret for maximum flavor is to “marinate” the tomatoes and mozzarella with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning 30 minutes before tossing it with the greens and serving. It’s delicious! And I know you’re going to love it.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Fresh baby arugula
- Fresh basil
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Mini mozzarella balls
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Marinade, toss and serve!
Combining the tomatoes, mozzarella, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper beforehand gives all of the flavors a chance to mingle. The tomatoes and mozzarella soak up the seasoning and have so much more flavor than they would if you just tossed it all together at the last minute.
Plus, the “marinade” becomes a quick homemade dressing, and all you need to do is add the fresh arugula and pesto, and enjoy!
More salads to serve this summer
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
- Asian Ramen Cabbage Salad
- Cucumber Bites with Corn and Red Pepper Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
Shop tools for this recipe
Arugula Caprese Salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 8 oz mini mozzarella balls
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes , halved
- 4 cups packed baby arugula
- 1 cup packed basil leaves , torn or left whole
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning and a generous amount of salt and pepper in a salad bowl.
- Add tomatoes and mozzarella and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add arugula and basil and toss until combined. Add more olive oil and salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately.