Over the weekend little John turned one month old. I can’t believe it’s been a month, in some ways it feels like nowhere near that long, and in others it feels like a lifetime. No doubt it’s been a very challenging month, good thing he’s so adorable. Since we reached this first milestone all still alive and I am still (mostly) sane, I thought it was cause to celebrate.
And what better to celebrate with than cupcakes with sprinkles?
Every now and then I have an intense craving for a cupcake, a single-serving confection piled high with tooth-achingly sweet buttercream. This was one of those times. But as I still have more than a few extra pounds to shed, there was no way I was going to have a few dozen cupcakes around to test my very weak will power. That’s where this genius recipe for only two cupcakes comes in.
I’ll let you decide whether or not you want to share, but I admit halfway through my cupcake I regretted offering the other one to my husband. Even Steve, who doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, was disappointed that there were only two cupcakes. They were fantastic, moist, tender, and packed with vanilla flavor.
So find something to celebrate today— a major milestone, something crossed off your to-do list, or simply the fact that it’s a Thursday. Every day deserves a cupcake.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons (22 grams) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (30 grams) all-purpose flour
- ¼ heaping teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1½ tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) sprinkles, such as jimmies or non-pareils
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place two cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the melted butter. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk and then the sprinkles. Divide the batter evenly between the two cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 1 cup (100 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½-1 tablespoon milk
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the powdered sugar and unsalted butter. Add ½ tablespoon milk, the salt, and vanilla extract and beat on high until smooth and fluffy. Add the additional ½ tablespoon of milk if necessary to get a spreadable consistency. Spread on cooled cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
You may also like these posts:
This page contains affiliate links, which provide me a small percentage of all purchases made through them.