This small-batch recipe makes just two perfect vanilla funfetti cupcakes.
Over the weekend little John turned one month old. I can’t believe it’s been a month, in some ways it feels like nowhere near that long, and in others it feels like a lifetime. No doubt it’s been a very challenging month, so it’s a good thing he’s so adorable. Since we reached this first milestone all still alive and I am still (mostly) sane, I thought it was cause to celebrate!
And what better to celebrate with than cupcakes with sprinkles?
Eating a dozen cupcakes is not exactly in my post-baby weight-loss plan and so I adapted this small-batch recipe from others I’ve seen online. It makes only two! Perfect for a little celebratory indulgence, without going completely overboard.
I’ll let you decide whether or not you want to share, but I admit halfway through my cupcake I regretted offering the other one to my husband. Even Steve, who doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, was disappointed that there were only two cupcakes. They were fantastic, moist, tender, and packed with vanilla flavor.
(Oh shucks, I guess I better bake another batch tomorrow.)
So find something to celebrate today— a major milestone, something crossed off your to-do list, or simply the fact that it’s a Thursday.
Every day deserves a cupcake.
Funfetti Cupcakes for Two
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons (22 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) rainbow sprinkles
- 1 cup (100 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2-1 tablespoon milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Rainbow sprinkles, for decorating
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place two cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the melted butter. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk and then the sprinkles. Divide the batter evenly between the two cupcake liners.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
To make the buttercream frosting:
- In a medium bowl, use a hand-held mixer to beat the powdered sugar, unsalted butter, 1/2 tablespoon milk, salt, and vanilla and almond extract to beat on low until combined. Increase speed high and beat until smooth and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the additional 1/2 tablespoon of milk if necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes. Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- "Non-pareils" sprinkles will bleed their color into the batter. It's best to use "jimmies" or "confetti" sprinkles instead.
- You will have leftover buttercream frosting. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
Tools for this recipe