Chocolate Bourbon-Spiked Banana Bread
In addition to all the other wonderful (and more motherly) things I’m looking forward to when our little one arrives— like that freshly bathed baby smell, the adorable coos and sighs, and the eventual chunky baby thighs— I am looking forward to getting my drink on again.
It’s a little sad how much I’ve missed alcohol these past 9 months. And when I saw a banana bread recipe that included not only chocolate and walnuts, but a healthy dose of bourbon as well, I was immediately on board.
The recipe comes from the Joy the Baker Cookbook, and one of the reasons why I love Joy so much is that she loves bourbon. I’m not a whiskey drinker, but bourbon is the exception. The flavor doesn’t come out very strongly in the bread, but it does add a hint of “adultness” that I like. This is banana bread for grown-ups.
If you prefer to omit the alcohol, simply substitute it for a little vanilla and bump up your banana amount by a few tablespoons if you can.
For me, banana bread is pure comfort food. And a slice is perfectly acceptable at any time of day, which is perhaps my favorite thing about it. It’s the perfect snacking food. And since my due date is less than a week away (yikes!), I’m trying to stock my freezer and pantry with goodies like this to help sustain me during the first few blurry weeks as a new mom.
Babies, banana bread, and bourbon. Oh my!
Chocolate Bourbon-Spiked Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (113 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (195 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups bananas , mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup walnuts , roughly chopped (100 grams)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (170 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the mashed banana, lemon juice, and bourbon and mix until just combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread to distribute it evenly. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store bread at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
7 Comments on “Chocolate Bourbon-Spiked Banana Bread”
What a coincidence, I made this yesterday! I omitted out the bourbon (as I didn’t have any) and still loved it! Substituted the chocolate for blueberries (I’m still trying to detox from all the Easter chocolate…) and the results were fantastic. I’m going to have to buy some bourbon one day and try it!!! Yum-thanks for sharing, I am in love with Joy’s cookbook!
That fresh baby smell is constant, and you can’t forget about the cankles and Michelin arms!
Your bread came out amazing, and this recipe has definitely been bookmarked in Joy’s book. Can’t wait to try this grown-up banana bread!
What a lovely banana bread recipe and a bunch of sweet things to look forward to from your baby! This is a keeper of a recipe, for sure. Got to try it for myself!
Awesome! I always love playing with banana bread. I’ve put so many different things in the batter, but NOT bourbon. Sweet! I can’t wait to try it!
I made this last night and brought it in to for my coworker’s 30th bday. Check it out: http://lifestooshorttoskipdessert.blogspot.com/2012/05/bourbon-chocolate-chip-banana-bread.html
Amazingly had no chocolate chips in the pantry. Ice storm outside precluded a trip to the store. So it became a blueberry, banana, bourbon bread. Was still yummy. Going to make it the right way for my birthday and add a scoop of ice cream with some chocolate sauce to my piece. 😎
Maltwin is a malt based health drink made with an ideal combination of Higher Protein, Higher Vitamins, and Lower Sugar to support the daily nutrition requirements of the human body in today’s fast-paced world. With nearly 50% more protein than a leading malt based food in the segment, Maltwin keeps you active and energetic throughout the day, in ways that your regular diet may fail to with 24 vital vitamins and minerals, Maltwin is a (5 years and above), teenagers and adults.