IMG_0014_1

What happens when you put vanilla ice cream, egg nog, and a piece of pumpkin pie in a blender? Well, recently I decided to find out.

Egg nog, ice cream, and pie

I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin, but I will have a slice of pumpkin pie about once a year with a dollop of whipped cream. It’s obligatory, and I do enjoy it.

Lately I’ve been craving milkshakes all the time. I don’t think I can really call this a pregnancy craving, I think it’s more the case that I’ve remembered how delicious they are and I have an excuse to indulge. And so I’ve been indulging.

Pumpkin pie

Adding the eggnog

I’ve seen many recipes for pumpkin pie milkshakes made with pumpkin puree and spices blended with ice cream and milk, but could not find a recipe that used an actual piece of pumpkin pie. Has really no one ever tried this before? Would it work?

IMG_0020

You bet!

And using eggnog in place of milk was a stroke of pure genius, if I do say so myself. This milkshake has a smooth creamy texture, and a hint of pumpkin pie. It satisfied both my yearly slice of pumpkin pie and milkshake cravings.

Probably the best thing about it is it’s super easy to throw together. This would be a perfect day-after-Thanksgiving dessert, when it’s likely you’ll have all the ingredients left over from the day before. Mix things up, instead of slicing yourself another piece of pumpkin pie, why not blend it up with your ice cream and sip it through a straw instead?

IMG_0027

Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
Makes one shake
View printable recipe

1 slice pumpkin pie, roughly chopped into pieces
2-3 scoops vanilla ice cream
1 cup eggnog
Whipped cream, for serving
Ground cinnamon, for garnish

Blend together the pumpkin pie pieces, vanilla ice cream, and egg nog in a blender. Add additional eggnog if needed to achieve desired consistency. Pour into a tall glass, top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon. Serve immediately.

14 Responses to Pumpkin Pie Milkshake

An easy treat for fall, love it!

2. Alicia says:

Oh my gosh I love this idea! I’m totally going to try it!

3. jen says:

heavens. I am logging this away for black friday and boxing day.. breakfast!

p.s. a small burger joint from my hometown makes pie shakes using legit slices, you’re not alone. wait til you try a milkshake with cookies.. :)

4. Genius! Sounds delish!

…and if I had a good excuse to eat milkshakes all the time I totally would, cravings or not. :)

5. A stroke of genius in the kitchen. I bet this was amazing!

6. Who thinks of sticking a piece of pie in the blender? Pregnant ladies do. :)

7. Well, I can’t use pregnancy as an excuse, but I must say that I would love to indulge in these gorgeous milkshakes…several times per week.

8. Erika Beth says:

Wow! The idea sounds weird, but good!

9. Deborah says:

I can’t decide what I like best about this shake – that it has eggnog or that it has acutal pie in it!!

10. Ellen says:

Hello! I was just wondering if you have a feed subscription via email? I don’t have facebook or twitter currently and don’t really use google reader.

11. cheryl ann hill says:

if I tried this I would substitute some peppermint candy canes for the pumpkin pie, & use that with the egg~nog & vanilla ice cream. that would be a fun thing to serve at a christmas party. maybe I’ll do that this year. that sounds good.

12. Howdy very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also?I’m glad to find a lot of useful information here within the publish, we need work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

13. *Raises hand!!* I wanna find out what happens when I mix all of this heaven into one glass!!! You’re officially my Pumpkin Pie Siren!!