Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones
Tender scones loaded up with crispy bacon and chocolate chips. The perfect sweet and salty breakfast combo!
These scones are the result of a genuine pregnancy craving. For weeks leading up to them all I could think about was bacon and chocolate pancakes. I dreamed about them, daydreamed about them, and couldn’t wait for a free Saturday morning to make them a reality.
That Saturday came and suddenly I didn’t want bacon and chocolate in pancakes anymore, I wanted scones. And since scones are just about my most favorite thing to bake on a lazy morning, I went with it. Pancakes would be delicious, I’m sure. But these scones were absolutely amazing.
The notion of putting bacon into a sweet baked good is a relatively new fad, and I’m certainly not the first person to put bacon and chocolate together. But it was my first time trying it and I do believe I am hooked. It’s the sweet and salty combination in these scones that I love.
I intended for four large scones but when I pulled them from the oven they were borderline extra large. Unless you have a pregnant woman’s appetite, I would suggest making eight scones instead of four.
I’m a fan of a little glaze on my scones, and since these originally started as a pancake craving, it was a no-brainer to me to make the glaze with a hint of maple flavoring. Bacon and chocolate and maple, the perfect marriage of breakfast and dessert.
Bites with bacon— breakfast. Bites with chocolate— dessert. Bites with both— yum!
I am all about eating dessert for breakfast any chance I can get, pregnant or not. And If you’re at all like me this is a recipe you’ve got to try.
Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (36 grams)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (10 grams)
- ½ teaspoon salt (2 grams)
- ½ cup butter , cold and cut into cubes (113 grams)
- ½ cup buttermilk , cold (4 fluid ounces)
- 1 egg
- 4 strips of bacon
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (100 grams)
- 1 egg , lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1 cup powdered sugar (125 grams)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Let cool on paper towels to absorb the grease, then cut into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or your fingers until butter is the size of small peas. Add the buttermilk and stir until the mixture just starts to come together. Add the bacon pieces and chocolate chips and use yours hands to incorporate them into the dough and bring it together into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a rough square shape about 1 inch thick. Cut the dough into 4 large scones, or 8 smaller scones. Place the scones about 2 inches apart on the prepared sheet pan and brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk and stir until smooth. Add additional milk if needed to achieve the right consistency. Drizzle onto the cooled scones and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Scones will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.