You can’t go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies. Use whole wheat flour, throw in some mini peanut butter cups, and bake them into bars for one unforgettable treat.
I have been battling with seriously cookie cravings recently. It seems every day I’m looking for any excuse to bake a batch of cookies.
I got my work done on time!
So finally I gave in, and baked these cookie bars.
This recipe is a combination of two of my favorites— my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and my whole wheat chocolate chip cookie bars. And just as I suspected, these cookie bars were fabulous. They satisfied my cookie craving and then some.
Adding whole wheat flour to cookies may seem like an attempt to make them healthier, but that’s not really why I do it. I love the subtle change in flavor and texture.
These bars are such a fun and easy treat, and the perfect spur-of-the-moment baking project, for whenever that cookie craving hits!
baking tip:How to bake thick brownies and bars
It’s really quite simple, actually. If you want thicker, taller bars or brownies, bake them in a smaller pan. Many recipes instruct you to use a 9×13-inch pan, but you can use an 8-inch or 9-inch square pan just fine. You’ll need to adjust the baking time as they will take longer to bake, but you don’t need to make any other changes to the recipe.
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter , at room temperature (113 grams)
- ¾ cup peanut butter , smooth or crunchy (225 grams)
- 1 ¼ cup packed light or dark brown sugar (225 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (283 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (200 grams)
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups , see Note (200 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or grease with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar on medium high speed until light and creamy, 3-5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as necessary. Mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing after each, followed buy the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the stand mixer and mix on medium low speed until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mini peanut butter cups and mix on low until just combined.
- Press into the prepared baking pan and bake until edges are golden, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.