Melting chocolate in the microwave is quick and easy, but it’s helpful to know a few tricks so it doesn’t overheat, seize, and become unusable. No one wants to throw away chocolate!
- Microwave chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 1 minute, then stir with a spatula.
- Microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each. How much additional time is needed will depend on how much chocolate you’re melting.
- The chocolate is done when most of it is melted, but some chunks are still visible. Stir for a few moments and those chunks should melt away.
A few things to remember:
- If your microwave power setting cannot be changed, microwave in shorter intervals.
- Chocolate retains its shape when it melts so the only way to know if it’s melted is to stir it. Do not rely on appearance alone.
- Be sure that no water comes in contact with the chocolate or it will seize.
- Unfortunately, there’s no way to save seized chocolate. Throw it away and start over.