Danish dough made with yeast gets its buttery texture by rolling cold butter into the dough over and over again, similar to how puff pastry is made.
- On a well-floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle.
- Fold the dough lengthwise like you would a business letter— bring the bottom third of the dough up and the top third of the dough down over on top.
- Flip the dough over so it’s seam side-down and the short end is facing you. This is known as the first turn.
- Repeat the rolling, folding, and flipping for a total of 4 turns. If the dough starts sticking, add more flour to your work surface.
- Chill in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to bake.