Spring Veggie Asian Lettuce Wraps
Light and fresh asian lettuce wraps filled with spring vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and peas— a perfect weeknight dinner.
I’ve been addicted to lettuce wraps lately and they’ve been on an almost weekly rotation in our house. They’re easy, healthy and full of so much flavor. And they have the special talent of disappearing in record time.
After a week in Mexico, indulging in every delicious thing that came across my path, I was ready for cleaner eating. I was ready for a big pile of fresh veggies. Spring produce to the rescue!
These veggie lettuce wraps were exactly what the doctor ordered— fresh, healthy, and downright delicious. Maybe even (is it blasphemous for me to say this?) as good as a slice of cake.
Spring Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 small shallot , thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , thinly sliced
- 1 cup asparagus , chopped
- 1 cup cremini or button mushrooms , chopped
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- ½ cup fresh peas
- 2 green onions , chopped
- ¼ cup water chestnuts , sliced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 head butter bibb, boston or iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup cashews , chopped
- Cilantro , for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds , for garnish
- Heat the olive oil and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallot, garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, and peas and cook until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the green onions, water chestnuts, and hoisin sauce and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve immediately, spooning the vegetable mixture into the lettuce leaves. Top with cashews, cilantro and sesame seeds.