Spinach and Cheddar Twice-Baked Potatoes
Twice-baked potatoes filled with spinach and sharp cheddar cheese are an excellent make-ahead option for potlucks and dinner parties.
Easter means different things to different people, but for me it means coming together with loved ones to celebrate the renewal of life. Winter is over, spring is here! And that right there is reason enough to rejoice.
This weekend I’m looking forward to spending time with my husband’s family. We’ll eat, we’ll laugh, and we’ll enjoy some sunshine and warm fresh air while we watch the little ones hunt for Easter eggs. And then, truth be told, we’ll probably eat some more.
Those mini Cadbury eggs aren’t going to eat themselves!
What’s an Easter family potluck without some sort of fabulous cheesy potato dish? I’ve got you covered with these easy + delicious twice-baked potatoes filled with spinach and sharp cheddar cheese.
Twice-baked potatoes really are quite simple to make, though they do take a bit of time to prepare. But they combine so many great things— creamy mashed potatoes, melty cheese, and a crisp potato skin bottom— all into one single-serving boat.
The mix-in possibilities are endless, but I like the simple addition of fresh spinach. It gives it a little burst of spring flavor, and I like to think the greens balance out the butter and cheese just a bit.
Twice-baked potatoes are also your best friend when it comes to entertaining, because you can prepare them in advance and warm them in the oven just before serving. No fuss, no stress, and everyone is going to love them.
What will be on your dinner table this Easter Sunday?
Spinach and Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes
- 4 large russet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter (56 grams)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach , roughly chopped (120 grams)
- ⅔ cup whole milk (160 ml)
- 1 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (160 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prick potatoes a few times with a fork and place on a sheet pan. Bake until cooked through and a fork pressed into the center goes in easily, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes in half and use a spoon to scoop the baked potato out of the the skins. Place potato flesh in a large bowl and mash, set skins back on the sheet pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add mashed potatoes, milk, salt and pepper and mix until combined. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Spoon potato mixture into the potato skins. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- Can be made in advance. Prepare twice baked potatoes and store in the fridge for up to 1 day. Bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are warmed all the way though, about 35-40 minutes.