These easy Mexican street tacos filled with spiced shredded chicken, chopped onions, avocado, and cilantro are sure to become a favorite with everyone!
Who doesn’t love tacos? They’ve got to be one of my favorite foods, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s the same for you. So, these shredded chicken street tacos are for me, you, and everyone out there who loves a quick and easy (and delicious!) meal.
Street tacos are one of my favorite dishes to order at Mexican restaurants and cafés, and I love that they’re simple enough to make at home. My kids gobble them up as fast as I can put them together, and I admit that I have a hard time not devouring three or four (or more) in a single sitting. We just love these shredded chicken street tacos!
How to make these Shredded Chicken Street Tacos
These street tacos are pretty basic. All you’ll need is:
- Shredded taco-spiced chicken
- Street taco tortillas (flour or corn, you pick!)
- Whatever fun toppings you can think of. I like diced onion, chopped avocado, and fresh cilantro, but salsa, shredded lettuce, cotija cheese, and jalapenos are other great options.
To make the chicken, use thighs instead of chicken breasts, as thighs have more fat which translates into more flavor and juiciness. And boy, these chicken tacos are SO juicy (nothing dry or overcooked here). Before you cook the chicken, toss it in a mixture of olive oil, minced garlic, and spices like cumin, oregano, and chili powder.
You can use either the stovetop or grill to cook the chicken. I grilled the chicken seen here as I like the added smokey flavor, but it’s definitely not mandatory. If you cook the chicken on the stove, I highly recommend using a cast iron skillet if you have one. It’s going to give the chicken a lot more color and flavor.
Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with two forks or an electric mixer and serve with warmed tortillas and your favorite toppings. And, enjoy!
Try these other Mexican inspired recipes
- Ground Beef Burritos with Black Beans and Corn
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- Homemade Salsa, 3 Ways
- Tin Can Margaritas
Shop Tools for this recipe
Shredded Chicken Street Tacos
- Approximately 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Flour or corn street taco-style tortillas
- Chopped onion
- Chopped avocado
- Other toppings as desired
- In a large bowl combine olive oil with minced garlic, spices, and salt. Add chicken thighs and toss until chicken is evenly coated in spice mixture.
- To cook on the stovetop: Preheat cast iron or heavy-bottom skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and coat bottom of the pan. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes on each side until well-browned and completely cooked through.
- To cook on the grill: Preheat grill to medium high heat. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes on each side until well-browned and completely cooked through.
- Let cooked chicken rest for a few minutes, then shred with two forks or an electric mixer.
- Serve with warmed tortillas and desired toppings.
- Store leftover chicken in the fridge for up to 1 week.