These eastern spiced shrimp tacos with avocado salsa will bring a little pizzazz to any night of the week!
I don’t usually pay much attention to trends, but I heard that 2018 is going to be the year of spices, and I believe it. It’s amazing the difference a few spices can bring to a dish, how it becomes something new. One gal who’s been way ahead of the trend is my friend Lauren Grier of the blog Climbing Grier Mountain. From cajun chili straganoff to curry coconut shepherd’s pie and moroccan potato salad, Lauren is the queen of making ordinary dishes extraordinary with creative flavor combos and exotic spices and ingredients.
Lauren’s new book Modern Comfort Cooking is a beautiful extension of her blog— combining both east and west, and retro and modern. She shares new favorites as well as classics with a surprisingly delicious twist. Korean pulled pork lasagna anyone? How about jambalaya spaghetti pie?
When I flipped through the book for the first time, these Mumbai shrimp tacos stopped me in my tracks. So simple, but also fun and different from my usual #tacotuesday fare.
I recently bought my first jars of middle eastern spices like turmeric, coriander, and cardamom and I’ve been slowly incorporating them into my cooking, trying different recipes here and there. I made these tacos for dinner earlier this week and we all loved them. At first my kids were hesitant, but in the end I think my two year-old ate more of the spiced shrimp than anyone.
The tacos are fresh and full of so much flavor. Nothing boring here! The shrimp is tossed with turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander and garlic powder and browned in a skillet for just a few minutes. Layer the shrimp into a toasted tortilla with an avocado salsa filled with cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and lime and that’s it! Dinner with a lot of flair in under 20 minutes flat.
Get your copy of Modern Comfort Cooking: Feel-Good Favorites Made Fresh and New here.
Mumbai Shrimp Tacos
- 2 avocados , diced
- 1 ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes (225 grams), halved
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (5 grams)
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb peeled and de-veined shrimp (455 grams), see Note
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 8 taco-sized soft tortillas
- Avocado salsa , above
- Lime wedges and cilantro , for garnish
To make the salsa:
- Mix together the avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make the tacos:
- In a large bowl, combine the spices and salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss until well coated.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and add oil or butter. Add shrimp and cook until opaque and slightly browned, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately with tortillas, avocado salsa, lime juice, and cilantro.
Shop for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Disclosure: I received a free review copy of Modern Comfort Cooking. All opinions are always my own.