A delightful springtime pizza made with a whole wheat crust and topped with shaved fresh asparagus, sugar snap peas, mozzarella and crispy bacon.
I am on the biggest seesaw of food cravings right now. One meal I’m chowing down on slices of watermelon and a big salad, and the next I’m eating ice cream straight out of the carton. That’s just the way it is with pregnancy I suppose.
The not-so-healthy cravings seem to outnumber the healthy ones and so I try to sneak in the good stuff whenever I can. Like homemade pizza topped with lots of gooey cheese and veggies. It’s all about balance, right?
This pizza is straight up inspired by Smitten Kitchen’s shaved asparagus pizza that I’ve been drooling over for years but have now just finally gotten around to trying myself. And it’s incredible! I couldn’t resist the sugar snap peas at the market so I threw some of those on too, and at the last minute I decided there needed to be bacon involved as well.
The combination of flavors is fresh and light while still satisfying that pizza craving. This is exactly what I want to live on all summer long.
For the crust I adapted my basic pizza crust to include some whole wheat flour, but feel free to stick to the original, use your own favorite recipe, or simply go the store-bought route.
baking tip:How to grill pizza
During the summer I usually opt to not turn on the oven and instead make pizzas on our gas grill. Follow these easy steps for grilled pizza.
- Lightly grease grill, then preheat to a good medium heat.
- Brush the top of your pizza dough with olive oil, then work quickly to flip the dough over onto the grill (greased-side down).
- Brush the second side with olive oil.
- Wait 2-3 minutes, then use tongs to flip pizza. Cover with desired toppings and let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
For more tips, see my full photo tutorial on how to grill pizza.
Shaved Asparagus, Pea and Bacon Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (113 grams)
- 1 ½ - 2 cups all-purpose flour (255-340 grams)
- 1 packet active-dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (80 ml)
- ½ bunch asparagus
- ½ cup shelled sugar snap peas (75 grams)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese , sliced or cubed (236 grams)
- 2 strips cooked bacon , roughly chopped
To make the pizza crust:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (or in a large bowl if mixing and kneading by hand), combine the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, yeast, and salt.
- Heat the water and olive oil in a small saucepan until steaming. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, or until temperature is between 120-130°F. Slowly add the water and oil to the dry ingredients, while mixing on low speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on medium low, add the remaining all-purpose flour a ¼ cup at a time, mixing until incorporated between each addition. Continue adding flour until the dough clears the bowl and is sticky to the touch without coming off in your hands. Knead with a dough hook or by hand until smooth and elastic.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put in a warm place and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Gently push down on the center of the dough to release the gases and knead by hand on a clean surface a few times. Let dough sit for a few minutes, then roll out into a large circle.
- Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500°F.
To assemble the pizza:
- To shave the asparagus, hold each stalk by the woody end and gently shave with a vegetable peeler. It's okay if the shavings are imperfect and some are thicker than others.
- In a large bowl, toss together the shaved asparagus, peas, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper. Brush the pizza crust with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter the mozzarella on top, followed by the shaved asparagus mixture and the bacon.
- Bake pizza until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.