Roasted Asparagus and Avocado Salad
This roasted asparagus salad with avocado and lemon-parmesan vinaigrette is light and simple, with lots of dynamite flavors and textures. It’s the perfect side dish, or you can add your favorite protein and/or grain to make it a complete meal!
There’s no salad recipe that better represents the return of spring than this roasted asparagus and avocado salad. And I look forward to asparagus season just so I can make it.
I love the combination of crisp lettuce, buttery avocado, and crispy roasted asparagus. Add a drizzle of homemade lemon-parmesan dressing and it’s perfect!
This salad works as a side to just about anything, but you can also bulk it up and turn it into a heartier meal. While I love it just as it is, I often will add some sliced cooked chicken breast and a few spoonfuls of quinoa or farro, or serve it with a side of crusty bread.
Ingredients you’ll need
How to make this roasted asparagus & avocado salad
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, honey, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Or keep it even easier, and add all ingredients to a small jar and shake to combine.
- Roast the asparagus. Chop asparagus spears into 1 or 2-inch bite-sized pieces and toss with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast at 375°F until tender, about 10 minutes (time will vary based on size of asparagus spears). Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Slice the avocado. You can slice or chop fresh avocado (here’s my favorite way to cut an avocado!). Only do this right before serving so avocado doesn’t brown.
- Assemble salad. Toss mixed greens with the vinaigrette in a large bowl. Add half of the asparagus and avocado and toss gently. Place the rest of the asparagus and avocado on the top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately! Like most salads, this one is best served right after assembly. I hope you love it as much as I do!
What to serve with this salad
- Easy No-Knead Breadsticks
- Slow Cooker Rosemary Balsamic Pork Roast
- Grilled Ribeye Steaks
- Easy Skillet Chicken with Herb Butter Sauce
FAQs for this recipe
While the assembled salad should be enjoyed right away, you can prep most parts of this salad for serving later. Roast the asparagus and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, keep the salad dressing in the fridge for several weeks, and wash and prep greens and keep fresh in the fridge.
Unfortunately, It’s likely overcooked. Roast asparagus until it gives just a little resistance when pierced with a fork. Cook time will vary widely based on how skinny or thick your asparagus spears are. Really thin stalks will only need a few minutes in the oven! Use this recipe as a guide, and don’t be afraid to check the asparagus while it’s roasting.
Yes! In fact, that is my favorite current way to cook the asparagus. Roast in an air fryer at 390°F for 5-8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
It’s so frustrating to cut into an avocado only to see that it’s brown or covered in spots. To avoid that, follow these tips: 1) Look for an avocado that is darker in color (green avocado skins haven’t yet ripened), 2) Give it a gently squeeze and choose one that is slightly soft to the touch but doesn’t feel mushy inside, 3) If possible, remove the stem and look to see that it’s bright green underneath and not brown, and 4) Use it in time! Avocados will continue to ripen at home. If you buy soft avocados they should be used in 1-2 days, and firmer avocados will take a few days to ripen. Once avocados are soft per your preference, store them in the fridge until you’re ready for them.
Roasted Asparagus and Avocado Salad with Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (60 ml)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (25 grams)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 bunch asparagus , chopped, woody ends discarded
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 large avocado , sliced
- Lemon vinaigrette , above
- Additional Parmesan cheese , optional
To make the vinaigrette:
- Place all of the ingredients in a mason jar or tupperware with tight lid. Shake vigorously for a few seconds until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
To assemble salad:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss the chopped asparagus, olive oil and salt and pepper and spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes (depending on size, adjust time as needed). Cool slightly.
- Toss the roasted asparagus, chopped avocado and mixed greens with some lemon-vinaigrette. Serve immediately.