These peppermint black and white cookies are a festive holiday twist on the classic!
This post is sponsored by the American Butter Institute.
Okay, this is the last cookie recipe I’ll post this month, I promise. I know you’re probably all in a sugar coma at this point (I am!), but I just couldn’t resist sharing this recipe with you before Christmas. These peppermint black and white cookies are maybe my favorite chocolate + candy cane creation yet.
Black and white cookies are an iconic treat made of a spongy and soft cake-like vanilla cookie covered half in chocolate icing and half in vanilla icing. Peppermint extract in the icings and crushed candy canes on top give these cookies a fun holiday twist. They’re perfect for cookie exchanges, holiday parties, etc. and I can guarantee they’re going to win over everybody. They’re simply scrumptious.
(Have you seen that Seinfeld episode with the black and white cookie? “Look to the cookie, Elaine… look to the cookie!”)
Now that I’ve got my chocolate + peppermint fix, I’m moving on to some of my other holiday cookie faves like snickerdoodles, gingersnaps, snowballs and sugar cookies. What cookies are on the top of your must-bake list?
Peppermint Black and White Cookies
For the cookies:
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter , at room temperature (375 grams)
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar (250 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk (175 grams)
For the icing and decoration:
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar (430 grams)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (60 ml)
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces dark chocolate , chopped (85 grams)
- ½ cup crushed candy canes
To prepare the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and yolk one at a time, mixing after each. Add vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (ending with flour mixture), scraping down bowl as necessary.
- Use 1/4 cup scoop to drop cookie dough onto prepared sheet pan, leaving 3 inches between each cookie. Bake until edges are golden brown and tops bounce back when touched, about 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
To prepare peppermint icing:
- Whisk together powdered sugar, heavy cream, milk and peppermint extract in large bowl. If mixture is too thick, add more milk. Pour half of mixture into small bowl to use as peppermint icing.
To prepare chocolate icing:
- Melt chocolate in heat proof bowl in microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir until smooth. Whisk chocolate into remaining half of peppermint icing. Add milk as needed to achieve same consistency as plain peppermint icing.
To decorate cookies:
- Turn cookies upside down so flat bottoms face up. Use small offset spatula or knife to spread small amount of vanilla frosting on half of each cookie.
- Let cookies set 10 minutes, then repeat with chocolate frosting on other half of each cookie. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Let set 1 hour before serving.
Disclosure: This recipe was made with Real® Butter in partnership with the American Butter Institute. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands and campaigns I believe in, which make it easier for me to bring you new and creative content. All opinions are always my own. To see all of the recipes I have created for Go Bold with Butter, click here.