These chewy gingersnaps scented with molasses and spices are the perfect cookie for the holiday season.
These gingersnap cookies are famous in my family and they always make an appearance at every holiday celebration. The recipe comes from my Grandma Wilda, whom I’ve never actually met. But her memory lives on in so many wonderful ways, such as in these tasty cookies.
If you’ve got room in your menu and stretchy pants for one more cookie recipe, will you please try this one? There’s a reason it’s a family favorite. These chewy gingersnaps are soft and chewy (not crisp or crunchy) and packed with the flavor of molasses and ginger, without being too overpowering. They’re the perfect spiced cookie for the season.
Chewy Gingersnaps Ingredients
All gingersnaps are traditionally made with ginger, but other flavorings and spices vary from recipe to recipe. Here’s what goes into these cookies:
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
The combination of molasses and spices in this cookie recipe provides so much flavor. Also, these cookies aren’t at all “spicy” like some gingersnaps can be.
baking tip:Measuring sticky liquids
This may seem like a frivolous tip, but it can make your baking a little bit easier. When measuring liquids like honey or molasses, first grease the measuring cup with a little butter, oil, or non-stick spray. Your sticky liquids will slide ride out.
Other cookie recipes you’ll love
Looking for more? How about the other spiced cookie recipes:
- Chai Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Cinnamon Crinkle Cookies
- Brown Butter Snickerdoodles
- Gingersnap Biscotti with White Chocolate
Shop Tools for this Recipe
Note: Recipe originally published December 2008.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (226 grams), at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup molasses (125 ml)
- 4 cups flour (500 grams)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar , for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar and butter on high speed until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the molasses and mix until incorporated.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the molasses mixture. Mix on low until combined.
- Roll the dough by the tablespoon, and roll each ball of dough in sugar. Place the cookie dough on the prepared sheet pan. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Bake until puffed and edges are set, 9-11 minutes. Let cool on the sheet pan for 5 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.