Homemade sweet and salty snack mix filled with chex cereal, pretzel nuggets, and plenty of nuts!
We’re snack food junkies in our house, especially my husband. Chips, crackers, trail mix, etc.— we love it all, and none of it lasts long.
Homemade chex mix is currently experiencing a bit of a renaissance in our house right now and I’m making it all the time for parties, holidays, road trips, and general snacking. Over time I’ve changed the back of the box recipe and ended up here, with our current fave, this maple nut snack mix.
It’s got a lot in common with traditional chex mix, but with a few notable differences. I use only rice and corn chex cereal, I use pretzel nuggets instead of the minis (though you’re welcome to use either), and in addition to the peanuts I’ve also added a lot of pecans and cashews. Then the mix is baked with spices, butter, and maple syrup for a fantastic sweet and salty crunch.
Keep this recipe in your back pocket for everything from back-to-school to the upcoming holiday season. Just be sure you have others around to help you with your snacking, and good luck not eating the whole batch in one sitting!
Maple Nut Snack Mix
- 2 ½ cups corn Chex cereal (75 grams)
- 2 ½ cups rice Chex cereal (75 grams)
- 2 cups pretzel nuggets or mini pretzels (60 grams)
- 1 cup lightly salted peanuts (142 grams)
- 1 cup shelled pecans (100 grams)
- 1 cup cashews (120 grams)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup (80 grams)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Toss together the corn chex, rice chex, pretzels, and nuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk together the butter, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Pour over the snack mix and toss to combine.
- Spread out on a sheet pan and bake for 60-75 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until mix is toasted and dry.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store for up to 1 week.
- Recipe makes 8 cups snack mix.