Soft and flavorful cream cheese biscuits, plus a fun holiday build-your-own biscuit bar!
This post is sponsored by Challenge Butter.
Last month I threw my sister a brunch bridal shower and served a biscuit bar with homemade buttermilk biscuits and lots of fun sweet and savory toppings. Everyone went nuts for it— our friends and family at the shower, and my followers on instagram.
“Such a fun I idea!”, I heard from dozens of you.
And so I thought I’d share it with you here, with recipes, lots of tips, and a video. Though, since it’s December I thought I’d put a fun holiday spin on it. ‘Tis the season for parties and gatherings, after all! If you’re currently planning a get-together with friends and loved ones this month, a biscuit bar brunch is the way to go.
My easy buttermilk biscuits are a favorite of mine (I make them at least once a week), but I wanted to try something new this time around and made these cream cheese biscuits instead. And they were amazing, maybe even better (gasp!) than my old standby. They’re just as flaky, but also super soft and full of so much flavor. Either will work for your holiday brunch— or for breakfast or a snack any day of the week— but if you haven’t made biscuits with cream cheese yet, I highly recommend you give this recipe a try.
For both the butter and cream cheese in this recipe I reached into my fridge for my supply from Challenge Dairy. I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but quality ingredients really do make a difference! Challenge Butter is 100% real cream butter and nothing artificial, while Challenge Cream Cheese is made with the freshest milk, cream and all-natural ingredients. And it shows!
Click here to find a Challenge retailer near you.
Throw a holiday biscuit bar brunch!
Why serve just biscuits when you can invite your friends over to enjoy a big build-your-own biscuit bar? Here are a few tips to make your brunch a success:
- Keep biscuits small (I like to use a 2-inch round cutter) so that guests can take a few and sample multiple toppings.
- Toppings for biscuits can include flavored compound butter, honey, nutella, jam, deli meat, cheeses, bacon, and even sausage gravy. So many fun options!
- For sides consider serving a big green salad or fresh fruit, and a fun holiday punch or a big batch of mimosas.
- Plan ahead for easy entertaining! Prepare all of your toppings in advance and freeze unbaked biscuits right on a sheet pan, well-wrapped, up to 1 week before. All you’ll need to do the morning of is bake the biscuits and pull the toppings out of the fridge.
- If you’re looking for fun labels to identify all of your toppings, I love chalkboard place cards. And if you need other brunch decors ideas, pinterest is here to help. I kept it simple with some boughs of greenery, holly berries, and mini lights.
- I resisted the urge to buy small matching bowls for all of my toppings and instead dug through my mismatched collection of canning jars. There’s no need to spend a lot of money or strive for perfection. Keep it simple and let the food be the star.
Watch the video
Cream Cheese Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the butter and cream cheese, and cut into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until a craggy dough forms. Dump out onto a clean surface and work the dough together into a ball with your hands. Flatten dough and fold it on top of itself 4 times.
- Roll out to about 1 inch thick. For mini biscuits, use a 2-inch round cutter. For regular biscuits, use a 3 or 3 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on prepared sheet pan. Brush tops with buttermilk.
- Bake until tops of biscuits are golden, 15-17 minutes for mini biscuits, 18-20 minutes for regular biscuits.
- Biscuits are best the day they are baked, but will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days.
Tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Challenge Dairy, Inc. as part of a long-term ambassadorship. Thank you for supporting partnerships with brands I love and believe in, which make Completely Delicious possible. All opinions are always 100% my own. To learn more about Challenge Dairy, you can visit their website here. You can also find them on facebook, instagram, youtube, and pinterest.