Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This moist chocolate quick bread filled with chocolate chunks and shredded zucchini is perfect for summer baking!
This is pretty much cake masquerading as bread and I’m totally fine with that. It’s not too dense, it’s nice and moist, and the intense chocolate flavor is all kinds of awesome. Plus, it’s filled with veggies! My kids didn’t even notice the zucchini and I’m calling that a huge win.
This chocolate zucchini bread is my favorite thing to bake when my fridge drawer is overflowing with summer zucchini!
How to bake with zucchini
Zucchini has a lot of moisture, so once I shred it with a cheese grater I wrap it in a double layer of paper towels and gently squeeze as much of the liquid out as I can. It gets a little messy, but it helps to prevent the loaf from getting too soggy.
Another good thing to remember is 1 medium zucchini = about 1 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini.
Bake two loaves and freeze or share!
This recipe uses only about 1 medium zucchini, so if you’re like me and have way more than that, you might as well double the recipe! What friend or neighbor wouldn’t love a surprise delivery? Or you can hoard it for yourself and stash the second loaf it in the freezer (no judging here). To freeze, wrap in a double dose of plastic wrap and store in freezer for a month or more. When ready to enjoy, let thaw on the counter for a few hours.
Shop tools for this recipe
(Affiliate links below)
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cup fresh grated zucchini (about 1 medium, 225 grams)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (120 grams)
- 1/2 cup cocoa (43 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar (105 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chunks or chips (85 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 4 inch loaf pan. If desired, line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- In a separate bowl combine the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing between each until the batter is just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and shredded zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the bread rest for about 10 minutes in the pan, then turn it out and cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.
This recipe was originally published September 2009.