Blood Orange Italian Sodas
I can’t get enough of these blood orange Italian sodas, they’re refreshing, easy, and family-friendly!
In middle school my friends I became obsessed with italian sodas. We got them almost every day at school, and raspberry was my favorite flavor. And then we moved on to some other obsession, and I completely forgot all about italian sodas.
Until this weekend, 20 years (!) later, when I got hooked all over again.
Except this time I made them myself with homemade blood orange syrup. Layered with ice, sparkling water and a little creamy half and half, it’s a very fun and refreshing beverage.
Blood oranges are in season right now and are definitely worth seeking out. They’re both sweet and tart, and I love the unusual color. But you can easily change up the recipe below with any citrus you like— lemons, clementines, grapefruit, etc.
I’ve been drinking these italian sodas all weekend long, and I don’t intend to stop!
Blood Orange Italian Soda
- Blood orange simple syrup , recipe below
- Sparkling or seltzer water
- Half and half
Blood orange simple syrup:
- Zest from 2 blood oranges
- 1 cup freshly squeeze blood oranges
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
To make the blood orange simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the zest, blood orange juice and sugar to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Strain and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the Italian sodas:
- In a highball glass, add approximately ¼ cup of blood orange syrup. Fill glass most of the way with ice and then sparkling or seltzer water. Top with a few splashes of half and half. Stir and enjoy!